ad: ProAudio-1

7300 Used Radio Killing Prices

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports' started by KM4MLF, Sep 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Check how many complaints there are here on the Zed. Where are they?

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many.

They can not post because their computer took a Win 10 Update. :p

Why would they cry on QRZ ? That won't fix the radio.

3. K5EMG

K5EMG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My Alinco DX-SR8T was sent to factory for a JTAG repair after a failed firmware update. I'm IT Manager, so I'm used to flash bios and firmware's files, but sh*t happens, I would like companies start thinking on make the firmware flashing idiot's proof with some kind of easy recovery without the need to send the unit to factory, most computers today they have or dual bios or a way to reflash in a recovery mode. By the way I have a IC-7300 too...

KA9JLM likes this.
  4. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I dislike Apple like the plague but I have to admit their stuff, at least the iPOD, is idiot proof. I don't know how many times I messed around with the firmware/OS on it. It has always recovered.

On the other hand some other products, even brand name, if you sneeze during a firmware update you risk bricking the thing.

5. KV4JW

KV4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

Old radios just work. You turn the power on, and there it is to greet you. No fumbling through menus, or touch screens that cripple operation when they go bad. Sure, that spectrum scope and full color LED display is cool.. But good luck replacing that yourself.

More than anything, I'm not a radio watcher when I'm on the air. I like to park on a frequency and talk, and not spend time fooling with menus and stuff.

I had to replace an external speaker jack on my Icom ID4100 awhile back. It took a HOUR to get to the jack. Some of you could have fully rebuilt a Drake TR-4 in that time.

KC7RAD, KK4NSF and WD4IGX like this.
  6. N0IOP

N0IOP Ham Member QRZ Page

You must be on a different Zed than the one I'm on.

AG5CK and KJ4VTH like this.
  7. N0IOP

N0IOP Ham Member QRZ Page

Nostalgia aside, I think it is hard to make a claim that the old radios were, overall, more reliable than the new radios.

What era do you choose?
    * Tube era radios now have parts availability problems (tubes, chokes, transformers), and it's work and expertise to recap them.
    * The early transistor era radios have parts availability problems of their own since transistors come and go. Burn up a critical part and you're redesigning the rig around new silicon
    * Early logic era radios often have custom ICs which are no longer available, and we're now at the point where some of the early *standard* logic ICs aren't out there any more
    Etc.

Re the OP I too am amazed at the selling prices for used gear at hamfests, fleabay, and here on the Zed. Makes buying new gear pretty reassuring to see 10 year old rigs selling for 80% of their price when new.

K5EMG likes this.
  8. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I put my IC-7300 on a hamfest table a couple years ago with a $600 price tag on it. Someone came walking by and said, "Will you take $500?" I said yes and he walked away with it. Yes, depend how bad the seller want to get rid of it.

(He probably immediately put it on his table and put a price tag of $900 on it.)

9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Or help sell it!! :D

10. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

But the really big item is the G.I. Joe with the Kung Fu grip.

WD4IGX likes this.