ad: Radclub22-1

Icom IC-705, IC-7300 and IC-9700 Waterfall Setup for Weak Signals

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Oct 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

In this video, I show the waterfall display options I use on the Icom IC-705 to find weak signal stations. This not only works for the IC-705 but also the IC-7300 and IC-9700. What settings do you use?

VE3WNP, KA8UGB, G1HYD and 23 others like this.
  2. K7GYB

K7GYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have mine set up almost exactly the same. One exception is the peak-hold color. You have black and I've found that a rusty red (R:112 G: 0 B 39) color suits the lime-yellow-green waveform color line (R:167 G:255 B:1) that I have set as I find the "peak hold" color option to be helpful on my Spectrum Scope and with this color combo of secondary colors, it is then not too "busy". I'm a watercolor artist and know that colors that are on the opposite side of the color wheel from each other (known as secondaries to the primary color that you are working with, or mixtures) do not conflict with the eye. This is true when looking for colors - other than black - that will not conflict when wanting to utilize the "waveform color [max hold]" feature. The opposite is true with the historical part of the spectrum scope (some refer to it as the waterfall). You want colors that are going to stand out more so you'd pick colors next to each other on the color wheel, that being one of the other primaries. Unfortunately, you cannot adjust this on the 7xxx series of radios - yet! Perhaps a firmware upgrade will be coming that will allow us to made adjustments to these colors as well. I'd like to be able to adjust the "TX Status indicator"! I really hate the red color being the standby/receive color... why isn't it GREEN? Oh well, I love my 7300 despite the nit-picks. Nice vid. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    AJ5TT, M1WML, AD8FD and 2 others like this.
  3. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the tip re the peak hold color. I had trouble thinking of a suitable red or any other colour so I simply turned it off and just used the waterfall activity to gauge when a signal had appeared on the band.

I'll give it a go

M1WML likes this.
  4. K7GYB

Good luck. Get a hold of a color wheel and you'll see there are several combos that will work. I just happen to like the muted/pastel red. 73

5. ZL1PDT

ZL1PDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice I like very new to de 705 life

M1WML and KC5HWB like this.
  6. VK7KT

VK7KT Ham Member QRZ Page

good info guys.. i have set my 7300 up accordingly..

7. VE2AR

VE2AR Ham Member QRZ Page

these settings also work ok on my ic-7610

8. SQ6WE

SQ6WE Ham Member QRZ Page

Tnx a lot for this material,,,It was very helpful indeed Mike de SQ6WE

M1WML likes this.
  9. N6RWC

N6RWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for putting the time into this. I don't own a 7300, 705 or 9700, but this could be helpful in the future.

M1WML likes this.
  10. AI6W

AI6W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 7300. How does changing the reference differ from turning down RF gain via the RF gain knob? Both seem to get rid of a lot of the noise on the waterfall.

M1WML likes this.
  11. K7GYB

Hi. My insight to your question is that the REF in Menu "2" does not degrade or attenuate the received signal. The REF only affects the Spectrum Scope display and not the received signal coming into your station through your antenna. Using RF gain directly has an effect on your RX which can be beneficial when trying to remove QRN. 73.

M1WML and AI6W like this.
  12. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

REF doesn't change the sensitivity like the RF gain would. I think of REF as just changing the view and nothing else. Here is an good video on that and I'm sure there are 1000's of videos on it:

W9WQA and AI6W like this.
  13. PD0IFI

PD0IFI Ham Member QRZ Page

reference does only set visable display ... not actual noise floor...

AI6W likes this.
  14. KO4HHY

KO4HHY Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice setup, Thank you. I'm slow getting anything correctly, I would like to change the waterfall part of the scope to look like the video, with blue, yellow/orange and red, but the top where the signal strength is I like it as factory, filled and blue, that is the way I have it in SDRuno, I will have to look the video multiple times until I get it correctly.

15. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I like it! Thanks for the video.