ad: Radclub22-1

SEQUOIA Stations on the Air: October 3-4

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N6DE, Oct 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N6DE

N6DE Ham Member QRZ Page

The tallest trees in the world are redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens), which tower above the ground in California. These trees can easily reach heights of 300 feet (91 meters). Among the redwoods, a tree named Hyperion dwarfs them all. The tree was discovered in 2006, and is 379.7 feet (115.7 m) tall.

Despite the devastating forest fires this year in California, many of these majestic trees remain. Haven't we all wondered what it would be like to install an 80m or 160m wire at the top of a 300 ft. redwood? We honor the Sequoia National Forest this weekend in the California QSO Party on October 3-4.

21 1x1 special event callsigns will be active: K6, N6 and W6 SEQUOIA.
    http://www.cqp.org/sequoia.html

Earn a special QSL card. See picture attached for the design concept of our QSL card.
    Achieve a commemorative certificate by spelling out SEQUOIA and making 100 QSOs in the California QSO Party.
    Win a National Park calendar.
    See your callsign in a Top 10 list of the most 1x1 SEQUOIA QSOs on as many different bands and modes.

The 2020 California QSO Party will be held on:
    1600Z October 3 - 2200Z October 4, 2020
    9:00am PDT Saturday - 3:00pm PDT Sunday
    CW and SSB
    QSO exchange from outside of CA: " <QSO serial number> state/province/DX "
    QSO exchange from inside California: "<QSO serial number> <4 letter County Abbreviation> "
    http://cqp.org

-Dean - N6DE

Attached Files:

W9RAC, W1YW, KE8BDQ and 3 others like this.
  2. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the most beautiful areas in the World.
    That will be a fun event :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

3. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the kind of NEWS that I like to see on the homepage of the Zed. If it wasn't featured here, I probably wouldn't have been aware of it.

W9RAC, KN4PHS and KG7HVR like this.
  4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

yes, I have wondered, about many things visiting Sequoia park... bigger than a puny human creation, a Saturn V, too big to take in ...

Hyperion is "only" 600 or 700 or 800 years old. The QSL draft says "NCCC 50 year anniversary". Congrats, youngsters!

OK now I'm tuning around hoping to find a special event station.

5. KA8VNG

KA8VNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Load up one of those trees for a vertical ???

6. VU2USA

VU2USA Ham Member QRZ Page

I was lucky enough to visit that park during my last visit. . Hopefully will make it again.
    congratulations on NCCC 50 YEAR ANNIVERSARY and all the best.

7. KD7TTT

KD7TTT Ham Member QRZ Page

100 contacts needed to get a certificate? Really?

AJ4LN likes this.
  8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

a pretty regular mind set for the QRM fests

KD7TTT likes this.
  9. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a fun event. Great.
    There is no such wonderful redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens) in Japan

JF1IRQ

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  10. AJ4LN

AJ4LN Ham Member QRZ Page

Spelled SEQUOIA several times, but didn't reach 100 contacts to qualify for the certificate: Only got 89 contacts total.

11. KD6RMS

KD6RMS Ham Member QRZ Page

114 all SSB contacts but only got E U O.

12. NX1Q

NX1Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I heard that there is evidence that Japan actually once had Sequoias.

13. K6CRC

K6CRC Ham Member QRZ Page

There are two major areas for Sequoias. One is the coastal range, where the tree in question lives. Runs from the Santa Cruz area up to the north coast. Redwood National Park contains the tallest ones. Biologists actually climb them. What is more amazing is the forest floor below. It is DEAD silent. All the birds are up so high, they cannot be heard. The forest is amazing.

The other area is the Giant Forest, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, as well as Yosemite and surrounding National Forests. These trees do not grow as tall as the coastals, but are HUGE.

One point is that these forests depend on FIRE. Fire kills the competiton for water, and allows seedlings to open. Fire is an important part of the California ecology. Tough when it hurt OUR ecology, unfortunently.

Sometime in your life, visit the coastal forests and Sequoia/Kings Canyon forests. One of my top 10 places in the world. Last trip to go fly fishing on the Kings River, the park guests were nearly ALL Asian and European. Why don't American visit their own parks?