ad: elecraft

Dr. Ulrich L. Rohde Receives 2020 IEEE Region 1 Technological Innovation Award

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AB4OJ/SK2024, Sep 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AB4OJ/SK2024

AB4OJ/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

The IEEE Region1 has selected Dr.Ulrich L. Rohde as the recipient of the 2020 IEEE Region 1 Technological Innovation (Industry or Government) Award. The selection was made by the Region 1 Awards and Recognition Committee and approved by the Region 1 Board of Governors. The award is states “Technological Innovation Award -For pioneering research and leadership in signal processing.” The Technological Innovation (Industry or Government) award is given for significant patents, discovery of new devices, development of applications or exemplary contributions to industry or government fitting Dr. Rohde’s accomplishments in our industry.

[​IMG] Ulrich L. Rohde received the Dr.-Ing.habil. and Dr.h.c.mult. degrees. He is also a Full Professor with the University of Oradea and an Honorary Professor with Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, India. He is currently the Chairman of Synergy Microwave Corporation, Paterson, NJ, USA; the President of Communications Consulting Corporation; an Honorary Member of the Senate of Armed Forces University Munich; an Honorary Member of the Senate of the Brandenburg University of Technology Cottbus-Senftenberg, Germany; and a Partner of Rohde and Schwarz, Munich, Germany. He has published over 300 scientific papers in professional journals, and several books and book chapters. He holds several dozen patents. He is a member of theIEEE Technical Committee for HF, VHF, and UHF Technology MTT-17; a member of the IEEE Signal Generation and Frequency Conversion MTT-22; a member of the Board of Trustees Fraunhofer Gesellschaft (EMFT) for Modular Solid State Technology; a member of the Board of Trustees of the Bavarian Academy of Science; and an Honorary Member of the Academy of Science; a member of the Eta Kappa Nu Honor Society; a member of the Executive Association of the Graduate School of Business-Columbia University, NY, USA; a member of the Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association; a fellow of the Radio Club of America; and the former Chairman of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Advisory Board with the New Jersey Institute of Technology. He was a member of the Board of Directors at Ansoft Corporation,Pittsburgh, PA, USA. He was a recipient of the prestigious 2014 IFCS C. B. Sawyer Award, the 2015 IFCS I. I. Rabi Award, and the 2015 IEEE Region 1 Scientific Innovation Award

KM1H, DJ1RKS, KO4LZ and 11 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Very cool - but can you try again to post the IMG link? Don't use a 3rd party source - download the IMG file, then use "Upload a File"

Dr. Ulrich is a one-of-a-kind in the world of Amateur Radio, as well as the audio world.

World class.

Thanks for posting

Dave
    W7UUU

N0TZU and E25NAL like this.
  3. AB4OJ/SK2024

AB4OJ/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Dave, ieee_logo.jpg

The IMG is an IEEE logo. Here it is.

73, Adam VA7OJ/AB4OJ

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Dr Rohde is N1UL.

W0PV likes this.
  5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Very active on FT8 lately, many bands. Just changed from 20 to 30m right now, reportedly xmitting from grid FN21, last signal report at 2400 Hz in channel hit -8 db here in FL.

Whoa! Also now seen reporting as xmitting from EL95. Running two stations at once via remote (?!)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Quite a Para-docs!

(see if anyone gets that ;-)

WQ4G, K3EY and W7UUU like this.
  7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point! Ulrich @N1UL operating from two places at once, there may be radio-active feline Verschränkung involved. :p

8. W2MGF

W2MGF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked him few times on ft-8

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Same here - he's REALLY good about sending paper QSL cards - an SASE request will result in at least two different paper QSL cards.

And he has no problem working folks multiple times - he's answered a number of my own CQ calls on the same band - happy to have him in the log again - just unusual for folks on FT8 to do that!

In every one of the log entries below, I was the one who called CQ - not him

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2020-9-30_19-53-48.png

N7ANN likes this.
  10. WA3UTC/SK2023

WA3UTC/SK2023 XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He checked into the Raleigh area 6 Meter AM Net a few weeks back. It was great to talk to him.

Charlie, WA3UTC

11. N1UL

N1UL QRZ Lifetime Member #303 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Good morning,
    Behause of Covid 19 I am stuck at my NJ QTH, in Upper Saddle River, 07458 and with computer control via internet and another hams also monitoring so nothing goes wrong I operate the two stations on different frequencies, power 25 W and a M3TR Manpack System and a 23 foot whip antenna.

Thanks all, 73 de Ulrich, N1UL

DJ7TH, WQ4G, KO4LZ and 6 others like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly: the para-docs!

:)

13. N1UL

Some pictures D6615F14-F3B6-4527-A1B9-331F869DD130.jpeg 77529D12-1C8F-451A-8702-9B68958A0694.jpeg 708F636D-272E-408A-A5BF-7865CF1DCB2B.jpeg

AB0R, KO4LZ, KR3DX and 2 others like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ulrich ,

We all share your frustration on being pretty much 'confined to quarters', but its really cool how you are making the best of it!

Congrats on yet another well-deserved award:)

Chip W1YW

KR3DX likes this.
  15. N1UL

Thanks, winter is coming, propagation is poor and my new and current project is to design a SDR that is it not optimized for a particular market price nor as a sellable product but simply for performance to be as good as the best analog receiver. This needs careful analysis, planning and execution, kind of a benchmark project.
    Wish me luck .
    73 de Ulrich

IW2DMO, KM1H, WQ4G and 11 others like this.