ad: MyersEng-1

Lighthouses on the Air @ Bridgeport, CT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB1THM, Sep 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB1THM

KB1THM Ham Member QRZ Page

Fayerweather Lighthouse (USA-059) activation in Bridgeport, CT with the Greater Bridgeport Amateur Radio Club on September 26, 2020 operating as W1B! Enjoy

W4KYR, KE2YK, WA1SDX and 7 others like this.
  2. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the sea near?
    Sounds fun
    What is a duck?

JF1IRQ

3. M6ENP

M6ENP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

and i thought lighthouses on the air ,transmission within 500m of said lighthouse, unless i am mistaken its maybee a few metres past that ??

4. KC1KWX

KC1KWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So close to me... I wish I knew about it. I would have visited!

W0EAX and KB1THM like this.
  5. KB1THM

KB1THM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it was close enough
    Come to the next event we would love to have you! Join the groups.io page from www.gbarc.net to get the updates! We do monthly foxhunts, and a net every Thursday night on the N1KGN repeater

KC1KWX likes this.
  6. K4NYM

K4NYM Ham Member QRZ Page

Junie, I hear you on there. 73! de POTA activator K4NYM! 73.

KE2YK likes this.
  7. N1DUC

N1DUC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For the lighthouse society rules we had to be within sight of the light. I think there is a different lighthouse group that may have that 500m stipulation. Thanks for the info.

8. N1DUC

N1DUC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K4NYM were you able to make contact with our station W1B?

9. K4NYM

K4NYM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes! Saturday (26-09-2020) on 14.259 at 14:57 UTC.

10. GD3ZZN

GD3ZZN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Guys
    Lovely post of the days events, we also have a lighthouse activity weekend here in GD land (Isle of Man) Point of Ayre NX40 NATS A4720 10-06-19.jpg
    This Lighthouse is at the Point of Ayre, the most northerly tip of the Isle of Man. I regularly activate this one and we have to be as close as is
    practical to class as an activation.
    I trust you all had a great day and hope to meet up with you some day on the bands.

73, de Martyn GD3ZZN

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    KB3K, KC1KWX, KD2IVC and 2 others like this.
  11. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Got a chance to do this myself a few years ago from the Point Arena Light Station in Northern California. Made lots of QSO's and had a blast.
    [​IMG]

AJ6KZ, KB3K and KB1THM like this.
  12. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure these guys know AMERICAN REGULATIONS

13. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

FINE BUSINESS!

KB3K likes this.
  14. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So if I could see the light from another island I can still claim an activation? I activated Jekyll Island one night and was able to see the St Simons Lighthouse from my operating position.

KB3K and AJ6KZ like this.
  15. M6ENP

M6ENP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

well the ORIGINAL lighthouse activations weekends was started a few years ago by 2 Scottish gentleman, and it originally was only the lighthouses around the UK coast line it then expanded into Europe and eventually to the the US, due to not being able to physically access lighthouses due to automation ,that when the distance guidance came in, the activation has now been re named the international lighthouses & lightships weekend, the website is here :-https://illw.net/index.php

and despite there being many lighthouses/lightships listed in the USA with there number , i not see the station "lighthouse" mentioned, and the original guidelines do state as near or adjacent to the lightship/lighthouse

and one of the original founders is now Sierra Kilo , and not Sugar Kilowatt my point made

AJ6KZ likes this.