ad: elecraft

Adjusting the 7300 spectrum scope to get the flex like green line

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG7HVR, Sep 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

20200922_194355.jpg I was asked how I got the cool green line without all the distractions on spectrum scope so I made a video.
    Ive owned a few 7300s and really only recently wanted to change the looks.
    I hope this helps others.
    The scope and waterfall can be made much better.
    Sorry for the video quality. Im not a pro youtube for $ guy. I just try to help spread info not advertising.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    M0TNX, KK2ICU, NJ0F and 13 others like this.
  2. KA8VNG

KA8VNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I changed my scope colors after I got my 7300 & look's great.

W1YW and KG7HVR like this.
  3. KG7HVR

I didn't even think its was possible to change it when i got my first 7300. I figured it was like 756pro series. Then I started using some homebrew sdr transceiver with powersdr and then sdr play I realized I wanted more from my 7300.
    Feel free to share any special tips here on changing things. Like how to get better resolution in fixed mode by changing band edges or something.

4. K5PK

K5PK Ham Member QRZ Page

You aint seen nothin yet until you really know what you're doin with this radio. What I've seen so far here?... Well, just leaves me limp.

W3QIN and K0UO like this.
  5. KG7HVR

Well dont be stingy , enlighten the rest of the class. Haha.

AK5B and N8PEM like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Good video! Short, sweet, and to the point! I just did the same on my 7300... looks nice!

Dave
    W7UUU

K9FV and AK5B like this.
  7. KA8VNG

KA8VNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Just watch the video & go to the setting's & the world is your's.

KG7HVR likes this.
  8. K5PK

K5PK Ham Member QRZ Page

There
    There are some great waterfall display options that for years nobody seems to have discovered. Very colorful, and very functional. Like they say now... " just sayin." Or, "anywayS" take your pick. 73

K9GLS and KG7HVR like this.
  9. KG7HVR

Must be my Washington state upbringing, haha. Thank you for sure.

W7UUU likes this.
  10. KG7HVR

I dont mind the waterfall, but the spectrum was bugging me. Ive tried several color combos but like the green for that.
    Wish i could do more with my 756pro2 or my g90 . This 7300 just is hard to beat and i have a ton of radios.

11. K5PK

K5PK Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay.. well, first of all, It's not a flex. But if you still want a 7300, then here are some settings to start with:

Press:
    M. Scope
    Set - just (hold momentarily)
    Max Hold - 10s Hold
    Averaging - 3
    Waveform Type - Fill +Line
    Waveform Color (Current) - R:255 G:255 B:0
    Waveform Color (Line) - R:255 G:255 B:0
    Waveform Color (Max Hold) - R:255 G:78 B:0

AnywayS that'll get you headed in the right direction.

KG7HVR likes this.
  12. KG7HVR

Heres a bit more info as far as the jumpy spectrum waveform. How to slow it down so it doesnt look like frying bacon.

13. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for showing this. I did figure out some of it myself (on my IC-9700) but never tried the Grid setting to change the color response of the waterfall. No I only have one problem left: I don't have an IC-7300 yet and am still figuring out if swapping my FTdx-3000 for an IC-7300 will be a good move or if I'm going to regret it. The waterfall on the Yaesu is just pathetic compared to the one on the Icom.

KG7HVR likes this.
  14. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing I see on my scope that I would like changed is when some blabbermouth sets his radio up for 5 kc wide band SSB and then feeds into a mistuned overloaded amp that spreads it even wider so they swamp out a big chunk of the band.

VK6APZ/SK2022, K9GLS and N8DAH like this.
  15. KE5YXO

KE5YXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Great! worked well. How did you get the frequency instead of the db below the waterfall?