ad: chuckmartin

Portable Ham Radio Camping gear & shelter presentation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Sep 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W5KAL

W5KAL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Watched the youtube video. Very good information.

OH8STN likes this.
  3. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good stuff Julian. My guess is if you do a bit more searching around you may find a sleep system and pack that performs just as well and saves you some lbs, but thanks for sharing your gear info. fwiw, Every Aug/Sept I take a 7 night trip into the Sierra Nevada Range here in CA. Much warmer than your climate but quite rugged, usually above treeline 10-12k feet elevation.

Typically my trips are about 85% being about the solitude and beauty of nature, and about 15% to play radio. Comm gear is KX2, Lipo Batts, Endz Fed wire, 28' mast, total HAM gear about 7.5lbs. Big Agnes silver spur tent, Western Mountaineering bag, Exped pad, ULA Catalyst pack, MSR white gas stove, typically 40-44lbs total weight including everything (food, fluids, fuel, etc). Shorter winter trips of course will weigh more due to heavier bag, tent, and more fuel. Have not done the hot tent thing yet, but as I age (60 now) they intrigue me more each year...

Thanks and keep coming with the great vids.
    Mark / K6MTS

KJ4CMY, W6WR, AK5B and 3 others like this.
  4. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks Julian,
    from
    powerstrokeseventhree from instagram

KJ4CMY likes this.
  5. W1TRY

W1TRY Ham Member QRZ Page

Another excellent video Julian, thank you. LOVE seeing Snapper (I hope I got that right,) she's a doll!

KJ4CMY likes this.
  6. ZS6ANT

ZS6ANT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank Julian good points made in the video.
    When i pack my gear for an outing the non - radio stuff is always added last and not really planned.

KJ4CMY likes this.
  7. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Great vid and you raise good questions. I rely on MRE type food products in the field and if game is caught I will roast over and open fire. I skip the fry pan exclusively. Just a pain to carry and clean. With you on Milspec gear though. I use and artic bag for sleeping. I also knew when the dog was getting cold because he would crawl up next to me. Can't really train that though. Just set an alarm when it get's damn cold and stoke the stove. When single handed sailing I would never get more than two or three hours anyways so I kind of trained myself to sleep near awake over time. I just caught up whenever I could drop the hook. Keep up with those vids, appreciate the work you put into them.

KJ4CMY, K4MID and AK5B like this.
  8. ZS1LEM

ZS1LEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Julian, nice video, was your stove actually in your backpack?
    Regards
    ZS1LEM

KJ4CMY, NL7P, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  9. KI4UYA

KI4UYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Love your channel videos Julian. Nice to see somebody actually doing off grid operating.

KJ4CMY and OH8STN like this.
  10. OH8STN

Thank you for that. It's not the normal type of video I'd publish, but hoping it's interesting.
    Julian oh8stn

KJ4CMY, NG9F, AA9GP and 1 other person like this.
  11. OH8STN

Thank you and yes it was. The stove itself packs down flat. The stove pipe packs down to about the size of a soda can.
    7e
    Julian oh8stn

AA9GP and AK5B like this.
  12. OH8STN

Thank you and agreed. I do enjoy operating from the home station, but it's not very challenging at all. Getting outdoors, operating away from it all, coming up with better ways of power and communications is incredibly interesting. Every trip a lesson, each new location a classroom.
    Julian oh8stn

K7LZR, AA9GP, K4MID and 1 other person like this.
  13. ZS1LEM

ZS1LEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Julian, thanks for the explanation how you packed your stove.
    ZS1LEM

14. K4MID

K4MID Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely great video as always. Your videos are what was the final push for me to get my ticket. If I ever win the lotto I’m going to fly out there and we can do some back country off grid camping together. 73 and thank you.

AK5B likes this.
  15. KF0BFD

KF0BFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting video...thought provoking. Thanks, KF0BFD