ad: Sussex-1

Hams Celebrate Healthcare Heroes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Sep 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

ICQPodcast Episode 333

In this episode, Martin M1MRB is joined by Leslie Butterfield G0CIB, Dan Romanchik KB6NU and Edmund Spicer M0MNG to discuss the latest Amateur / Ham Radio news. Colin M6BOY rounds up the news in brief and this episode’s feature is Hams Celebrate Healthcare Heroes.

ICQ AMATEUR/HAM RADIO PODCAST DONORS

We would like to thank Scott McDonald (KA9P), Annemarie Nugent (EI9KW) and DAVID LEBLANC (KF7JAF) along with our monthly and annual subscription donors for keeping the podcast advert free. To donate, please visit - http://www.icqpodcast.com/donate

News stories include: -
    • ARRL Board elects new CEO
    • Trans-Atlantic Opening on 144 MHz between the Canary Islands and the Caribbean
    • FCC Proposes Charging Amateur Radio License Fees
    • ISS 437.800 MHz Cross Band Repeater Activated
    • Brazil Proposes End of All Amateur Radio Exams
    • Six Metre Group AGM Goes Online
    • Battle of Britain 80th Anniversary
    • EURAO Party - Summer 2020: working on 80m and 40m band
    The ICQPodcast can be downloaded from http://www.icqpodcast.com

upload_2020-9-13_20-10-28.png

2E0KLX and 2E0CIT like this.
  2. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Mahalo to the NHS and all Physicians,Doctors and Nurses World Wide fighting the spikey buggers !
    G3SEA/KH6

2E0CIT likes this.
  3. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

It is really great celebrating and clapping them, but why doesn't the government give them a raise they so deserve for their selfless devotion to duty

2E0KLX, M7AUC and WA8FOZ like this.
  4. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It does, my wife is a nurse so I hear all about these things. Most NHS staff are covered by a deal agreed in 2018 which gives them a pay rise above inflation - at a time when private sector wages have been stagnant for more than a decade - and those staff who weren't covered (mostly higher grades, eg doctors) agreed a deal earlier in the year. The last year of the nurses' etc deal is the next financial year and I would expect the talks with the unions to start after Xmas on the next package if there isn't something done ad hoc.

G3SEA likes this.
  5. G8NDL

G8NDL Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with W6UXB's comments. Pre-Brexit election Boris did promise, I believe, the NHS £250M (or was it £350M) a month injection of funds. Post Brexit election that reduced to a possible £70M, now nothing is ever mentioned. NHS staff do need a reward for their efforts and sacrifice. This applies to all health professionals world wide in my opinion.

2E0KLX, 4X1ST and G3SEA like this.
  6. KC7C

KC7C Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife N7URS is a nurse, no pay raise, but for the last several months, the company she works for has been paying them what is being called “Hero Pay”. It was a substantial pay raise of better than 15%. But that has come to an end now. I’m not complaining, but there is nothing threw the government here as far as we know. And what about this fall when it is predicted to get worse again?

At the peak in her building, they had about 60 residents and staff that were infected. That makes it very hard on the ones left standing. Masks and googles required at all times in the building. If you don't know what that's like, try it for a week. Then times that by 6+ months 10 hours a day 5+ days a week.

Fortunately they are COVID free right now, so the mood is a little lighter now.

7. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

Our healthcare staff all over the world are our real angels. They deserve every penny they get and a lot more. My dearest departed Cynthia was a nurse and she was never payed what she deserved. God bless them all. de John - G0WXU.