ad: MyersEng-1

AmateurLogic 147: QRZ/LOTW Integration, DOS on Pi, and an Enigma.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Sep 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W5JDX

W5JDX Ham Member QRZ Page

AmateurLogic.TV Episode 147 is now available for download.
    al_ep147-qrz.png
    Eliminate logging hassles. Emile shows how to integrate QRZ online logging with Logbook Of The World for a simple, quick single log entry across platforms.
    Mike presents our friend Chip, K9MIT’s Enigma Machine.
    Pull out those floppy disks and relive the days of early PCs and DOS. George goes old school DOS on the Raspberry Pi with Dosbox.

Announcing the AmateurLogic.TV 15th Anniversary Contest. This perfect QRP package includes the Icom IC-705 all band all mode transceiver and Utility Backpack, MFJ-2289PKG Big Ear Antenna package with tripod and carry bag, MFJ-4115 portable power supply, Heil Sound BM-17 headset, and the collection of Forrest Mim’s Engineer’s Mini Notebooks. Help us celebrate. Visit amateurlogic.tv/contest today for details.

1:15:14

Download
    YouTube

2. K6KWX

K6KWX Ham Member QRZ Page

A while ago I designed my own Enigma, which you an see on my web page if interested. Below is a cut and paste from my QRZ web page. Ilan, K6KWX:

My latest design is an Electronic Enigma M4. These electro-mechanical machines were used for encryption of all war-time communications by the German submarines to and from their command headquarters during World War II; Their codes were subsequently broken by Alan Turing (and his coworkers) at Bletchley Park in the UK. A photograph of an original Enigma machine is shown here:

[​IMG]

And here is a view of the internal encryption/decryption engine:

[​IMG]

My machine, shown next, is a digital design run by an Arduino Mega. I have sought to emulate to the operator the look and feel of an actual Enigma - keyboard, lamps, wheels and plug board, albeit through digital electronics, as opposed to electro-mechanical movements. My machine accurately and completely replicates all M4 configuration and encryption operations. For an effect I also built an audio daughter board, so one can hear the encrypted CW message as it would have subsequently been transmitted over the air by the German 'Kriegsmarine'.

[​IMG]

NL7LE, VE2HEW and AJ6KZ like this.
  3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys wanting for a IC-705 well here is your chance. You don't even have to be a you tube influencer!

4. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Frankly I am caring less and less about logging. I don't contest, and since my QRZ log wouldn't let me extend the end date (and now I have a new log that won't really act as my default log) I am thinking it's not really worth the hassle.

W0AMX and K6CLS like this.
  5. N1IPU

I don't contest or log either. No interest. Rather have a decent conversation which is near impossible when the contesters are running. Running pileups is like shopping at door opening on black Friday. Some do see how insane that is.

KM5BH likes this.
  6. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with that with a caveat or opinion if you will: I am not into contesting. My station and motivation would never win an award LOL.

What I do LIKE about contest is the ability to see how well my station is being received over the scores of other signals. I feel like I got things dialed in just right when I can break into a pileup on a unique station and get a valid and solid QSL.

This is a hobby, and contesting for people is part of the hobby. In fact, in 1928 was considered the first Ham contest.

I do wish there was better coordination and consideration for everyone when contests are scheduled. During the recent WAE which is pretty cool, there were at least 2 or three other QSO parties going on.

AJ6KZ and N1IPU like this.
  7. N1IPU

Agreed. I really would not have issues with contests if it was controlled better. Dominating every part of a band is not good practice but that's how it always ends up. There is room for everybody in the hobby but contesting and rude contesters have turned it into the dominant mode. I think the ARRL holds the ultimate responsibility for that when they should be leading the way. They won't ever get another dime from me and many others I know.