ad: TinyPaddle-1

HR2.0 - SunSDR2 DX HF Ham Radio Transceiver Setup and Demo

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Aug 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SunSDR2 DX HF Ham Radio Transceiver - today I setup a new HF radio from SunSDR, the SunSDR2DX 100 watt Transceiver running ExpertSDR software. A special thanks to the nice folks at Gigaparts for allowing me to review this radio!

KP4CZ, KG5PFD, KB2VKZ and 4 others like this.
  2. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

thanks for the short review it is one of the radios on my short wish list..I am so interested on trying an HF SDR tx..

KC5HWB likes this.
  3. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice radio, I imagine it would certainly have excellent filtering abilities.

KC5HWB likes this.
  4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

KC5HWB and 2E0TWD like this.
  5. K0IP

K0IP Ham Member QRZ Page

maybe great, but do my eye's deceive me , are those gold plated F connectors, REALY ??? I'm not sure, you tell me RF in and out ????

LZ2ITD likes this.
  6. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Ham Member QRZ Page

They are mini-UHF and SMA for others I believe.

7. KC5HWB

This is correct. Mini-UHF. Same connection used by many Motorola mobile radios (not that that means anything, just relating it to that same style)

8. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

although I would rather have SMA connectors, not a big deal.

The advantage of mini UHF is they aren't much bigger than the coax, so installation is easier, drill one smaller hole. Otherwise, not compelling.

KC5HWB likes this.
  9. N2RIC

N2RIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting looking SDR radio. Have you had a chance to compare it to the Flex Radio SDR?

10. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Cliff (neighbor)- Yep, and the mini-uhf ports are certainly more robust than if Sun used SMAs. SMA to SO239 adapter or pigtail, and then to a 'good run of coax' would likely have operators stressing the ports. Regarding Ant port 2 & 3: Sun will relabel these as A2-"HF/50" and A3-"HF/50" in the next production run, and Ant 1 as A1-"144"...hi

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    K6CLS likes this.
  11. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

12. W1MBB

W1MBB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

how did you make the background on your video?

13. K7KB

K7KB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Although it doesn't look like a $2200 radio, it's what's under the hood that counts. Reviews of their Pro version have been very positive. It would be interesting to see what kind of specs Rob Sherwood would have for it in his receiver testing. In today's SDR world, you can't judge a radio just because it doesn't have any knobs or dials to turn :)

John K7KB

KC5HWB likes this.
  14. K7KB

K7KB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He used Green Screen technology, basically the same thing your local weatherperson does with the weather report where you see the weather map in the background while he's pointing out the local temperatures. He sit's in front of a background of a solid color, and then that color (usually green or blue) can be replaced with other video or backgrounds using a process called Chroma Key. I see some of our club members starting to use it for our local Zoom meetings to hide their messy shacks :)

John K7KB

N0YPD and KC5HWB like this.
  15. KC5HWB

Adobe Photoshop for the thumbnail. And yes, a green screen was used during the video, as K7KB stated.