ad: elecraft

TX Factor looks at the new Icom-705

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G0FGX, Aug 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. G0FGX

G0FGX Ham Member QRZ Page

TX Factor Episode 26 – On The Air – NOW!
    IC 705 -2.jpg

Running slightly behind schedule, thanks to this dreaded Covid-19 Pandemic, but now finally reaching the airwaves, it’s a bumper Summer edition of TX Factor!

Episode 26 is packed full of pre-lockdown features including a very relaxed “tea and biscuits” interview with Tim Kirby GW4VXE as he speaks of his big passion for VHF / UHF operating and shows us around his new home QTH and what surely must be a blank template for some stunning possibilities with antennas!

Bob G0FGX and Mike G1IAR take the lid off Bob’s Icom IC-7300 and fit a Radio Analog PTRX-7300 RF interface module, without blowing anything up (it’s a dream to fit and actually very simple!) Coupled with an inexpensive SDR receiver like the SDR Play RSP1A and your computer this board gives you a proper panadapter display so you can use your mouse to click and pounce on the signals you want to hear.

In a TX Factor breaking news scoop, Bob gets his hands on one of the very first Icom IC-705 SDR QRP all-mode transceivers to arrive in the UK and gives a comprehensive review of all its’ wonderous capabilities!

TX Factor is proudly sponsored by Martin Lynch and Sons and the RSGB. Episode 26 is viewable in stunning HD on all devices from smartphones to smart TV’s and is available at www.txfactor.co.uk where you will also find all our previous episodes. You can also search for TX Factor on You Tube.

KI4MCV, DARRELLR5044 and JF1IRQ like this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

That RF interface module is the cats arse. Almost want to by a 7300 to be able to use it. Maybe down the line they will look at Yaesu like the 991a. Hint Hint. I am sure the Ne'er do wells here in the states will do 20 vids on it by next week but thanks for the vid as it raises the bar on Ham Vids.

N3BVQ likes this.
  3. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I really like this radio, but going to hold off for awhile. My thoughts on it so far:

1) Will be a better travel radio than a SOTA / QRP portable radio. I'd rather have a smaller mountain topper, 817nd, or other qrp for SOTA and hiking.

2) the price is just a little high for my tastes but that's OK. It is going to be popular so they'll get almost whatever they ask for it.

3) color touchscreen for outdoor use is a negative for me. This becomes a plus if I'm taking it on a trip to my family's house for the weekend or using it in a hotel room.

4) pretty cool having audio and data on one USB cable without the need for a sound card interface (signalink).

5) Price for the backpack is outrageous and I don't know why people would want to talk and walk with a little telescopic whip hanging out of their backpack. Just use an HT? Plus, there are TONs of better backpacks with more modularity for other items, accessories and equipment.

Just my 2 cents.

AJ6KZ, NU4R, KC5HWB and 2 others like this.
  4. N1IPU

Agreed, If someone comes out with a $600 portable absent all the silliness like touchscreen I will buy it. Till then the 817 is the standard. Soundcard interface is a few grams for $20 so no selling point there.

K7LZR likes this.
  5. N5KD

N5KD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think all the TXFactor videos are brilliant. Welcome back. Thanks to everyone involved with the production.

KC5HWB and G3SEA like this.
  6. N6RWC

N6RWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice portable rig

G3SEA likes this.
  7. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

If you could give all the hams in the world a bar of gold 90% would complain it's too heavy and 10% would would debate among themselves whether the gold was too shiny or not shiny enough.

No matter what Icom will get blasted for innovation or lack of for including or not including certain features. You can't please every persuasion for every occasion. Some things seem silly or useless to some operators and others can't do without it strictly on how the individual plans to use it or where.
    I think we should all be at least thankful one of the few major radio manufacturers is trying to fill a niche market. Competition is a good thing. Will I buy one? No. But I don't have a need for a KX3 or any other similar radio either but I'm glad they are out there for those who do.

WB5PDZ, NP2BB, AJ6KZ and 25 others like this.
  8. K2FI

K2FI Ham Member QRZ Page

Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio. Not buying another radio.

WB5PDZ, NP2BB, KN4RA and 9 others like this.
  9. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Who in this thread is really complaining? Prognostication and general discussion of likes and dislikes, maybe...but certainly nothing as bad as you're describing.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    G8TXK likes this.
  10. N1IPU

Well lets put it this way. I am not interested in spending my fiat currency on bells and whistles. A little bit more than a 1/2 oz of gold for a portable radio that's not waterproof. I am waiting for one that actually is. So far no one has figured that out except l3/harris. I can by a waterproof handled but not an HF rig. That being said I can buy a more capable non waterproof portable for less money and its not made in china.

G8TXK likes this.
  11. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That SDR RF tap board for the IC-7300 will be more interesting to many folks than the IC-705! It gives you a true, large screen bandscope.

W5CJA likes this.
  12. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe that's why the Xiegu X5105 sold like hot cakes at or below that $ 600 price point while still having remarkable features. :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

N2TPA likes this.
  13. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Like I said,
    "You can't please every persuasion for every occasion. Some things seem silly or useless to some operators and others can't do without it strictly on how the individual plans to use it or where." I hope you find what you are looking for.

14. N1IPU

There support is terrible though, fellow ham just gave up and returned it. Rather keep the 817 and 891 for portable, if I lose one its not a great loss. I built a qrp labs transceiver for JS8 but finding a decent enclosure is a chore. To fragile for portable ops.

15. N1IPU

I think the only benefit is weight savings here. If your pulling it out of a backpack on a bright sunny day sure but raindrops and touchscreens just don't work in my experience. I guess we will see because a couple of portable ops i know of have it on pre order never mind the guys doing videos in the field.