ad: ProAudio-1

Australia introduces amateur callsigns for life

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK3YE, Jul 29, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

If you upgraded your amateur licence in Australia you had to get a new callsign.

Same with moving interstate.

Now the rules have changed. You can upgrade your licence and keep your callsign if you like it. Details from ACMA here:

https://www.acma.gov.au/changes-amateur-radio-call-sign-policy

What people hear from VK will also change. For example our four letter suffix Foundation callsigns allow 10w output on a few bands. But under the new rules Foundation holders can upgrade to our Standard or Advanced licence and keep their callsign. So you might hear some four letter suffixes on 20 metres in the future. Like with the US system you can look up their licence category online.

A video on this topic is here:

VK3KTO, N0TZU, JF1IRQ and 1 other person like this.
  2. KA8VNG

KA8VNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have kept my novice call sign since it was issued. KA8VNG sounds to good on CW to change it.

WA8LGM and VK3HJ like this.
  3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd imagine the 4 letter Foundation folks would be super eager to get rid of those calls! Can't do FT8 with a long suffix.

W0AQ and AD7DB like this.
  4. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Why is that?

5. W2CSI

W2CSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea, we have been doing this option in the usa for years!

6. VK4BOB

VK4BOB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was one of the lucky ones on the "old" system. Got VK2BOB when I lived in Sydney, then managed to grab VK4BOB when I moved to Cairns in the tropics. Three guesses what my name is. Now I can use both as I kept the VK2BOB callsign for old times sake.

N4GST, 9A5O, KK6YBX and 2 others like this.
  7. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you happy about this?
    I don't understand to Japan.

JF1IRQ

8. K1KOB

K1KOB Ham Member QRZ Page

Great for all of you down there. I got KN1KOB back in 1959 as a NOVICE and have been an EXTRA as K1KOB
    61 years a HAM
    73 Ralph K1KOB

N4GST, JF1IRQ and PY2NEA like this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

What happens in Australia stays in Australia.

KO4CES, KG9IO, W5ACC and 1 other person like this.
  10. AD8BU

AD8BU Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, you can use a longer call in FT8. The simple explanation as to why you wouldn't want to is that it gets compressed and isn't as easy for the software to decode it.

See Section 10 Special Call Signs (page 32) of the following PDF for the technical details:
    https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/FT8_Operating_Tips.pdf

W7SJP and PA0MHS like this.
  11. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Works perfectly fine with long suffixes.

iGPFun_F3_Setup_Guide.png

K6CLS likes this.
  12. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Great to hear. Enjoy!

13. VK7MC

VK7MC Ham Member QRZ Page

What a joke Foundation license limited to 10w on some bands! Never thought those linear amps or 200w rigs would go that low!
    And shifting to another call area and not changing pre-fix immediately will make all DX awards unreliable!
    Personally I am glad only 2 letter calls will be issued to Advanced licenses some amateurs might actually be motivated to upgrade!

RZ1O, K8PG and VK2WP like this.
  14. N7JI

N7JI Ham Member QRZ Page

10 watts is plenty for working the world, and people should have incentive to upgrade. A taste of DX provides just that.

VE3GCX, F8WBD, AC0GT and 1 other person like this.
  15. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Licenses in vk are 15% foundation, 15% standard, 70% advanced. Its been like that for ages. People are upgrading all the time.