ad: elecraft

Radio amateur ingenuity - COVID-19 Physical Distance Alarm

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jul 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

An example of a simple electronics solution and "homebrew project" by a radio amateur in Germany relevant to a very important issue of today.

The news article is in the German language but translates well with Google. The instructional build web site is in English. Both links and others of interest are embedded in the bold text below.

If only there was something inventive to convince the public to wear facial protection diligently. :cool:

73, John, WØPV

[​IMG]

Physical-Distancing-Warner mit Arduino - Wenn einem fremde Leute zu sehr auf die Pelle rücken, hilft der Covid-19-Abstandswarner: Ein Arduino und ein paar Zeilen Code halten Mitmenschen auf Distanz.

Translation - If a stranger gets too close to you, the Covid 19 distance warning helps: An Arduino and a few lines of code keep people at a distance. (Article author Carsten Meyer)

Actually a simple idea: Take a commercially available ultrasonic distance sensor of the type HC-SR04 , an Arduino Nano and a couple of LEDs and use it to build an electronic distance warning device. It sounds the alarm when a person approaches less than the minimum distance - in a nice way: the LEDs then either show a friendly or sad smiley. In addition, a buzzer warns that the distance is too short, and the more excited the shorter the set distance is.

Radio amateur @DL1EKM (personal website link) published the project on the DIY platform Hackster.io.(an English link)

The circuit does not need more than a handful of components; the material costs should be limited to 10 euros if you use one of the inexpensive Arduino clones. In addition to the parts list, circuit diagram and source code, DL1EKM also offers the PCB layout for download on its project page.

Incidentally, based on the infamous Hassler by (American engineer) Bob Widlar (son of a ham and brother of todays W8ERI), the device should also be interesting for chronic misanthropes and Asperger's autism in post-Corona times.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    WB2SMK, N2HUN, VE3RKP and 5 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was always under the impression that a necklace of garlic could also accomplish this--for the Luddites among us.

FREEBYGRACE, N2HUN, KF5RRF and 19 others like this.
  3. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Eating lots of it helps also.

I want a Star Trek force field myself.

FREEBYGRACE, WB9YTG and W7XLR like this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

There is. It's called move to Hong Kong or Beijing.

FREEBYGRACE, KB7UXE, W3DL and 4 others like this.
  5. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

So will a .38 special.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

FREEBYGRACE, N2HUN, KB7UXE and 6 others like this.
  6. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Devices like this are the reason for increased EMP device sales.

FREEBYGRACE and PY2NEA like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hold on loosely...minimum 6 feet!

FREEBYGRACE, WW5RM and W0PV like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

KB7UXE, W1ER and W0PV like this.
  9. CT7ANU

CT7ANU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not bathing will produce better results.

FREEBYGRACE and KU4GW/SK2023 like this.
  10. N8QQE

N8QQE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I find with most people, 6 feet isnt far enough. hi hi... hence the radio hobby. ;)

N8CMQ, FREEBYGRACE, KG5JJ and 9 others like this.
  11. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to build a emp for the punks next door and the booming car stereo... zzzaap

PY2NEA, KI7HSB and WN1MB like this.
  12. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

It's a great time to be a hermit.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2020-7-16_19-29-24.jpeg

K3DFD, N2HUN and W1ER like this.
  14. W1ER

W1ER Ham Member QRZ Page

I always wanted to be able say "I Survived Sledgamatic"

15. N7BWB

N7BWB Ham Member QRZ Page

If only it hadn't been politicized and was treated as the actual crisis it is.

N8CMQ, KB1GKN, AL7A and 1 other person like this.