ad: M2Ant-1

Pat Herbert, curator of the Hurdy Gurdy Museum of Vintage Radio - SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Pat Herbert, curator of the Hurdy Gurdy Museum of Vintage Radio - SK
    The Hurdy Gurdy Museum of Vintage Radio have announced on Facebook:

19 June 2020
    It is with great sadness that we report the death last Thursday of Pat Herbert, the curator of the Hurdy Gurdy Museum of Vintage Radio in Howth, Ireland. Pat will be greatly missed.

The museum has been a very special place since it first opened in 2003. Pat was a real character and a gentleman . He had been collecting radio paraphernalia since the early 1950s when he was working on the building sites in London.

The museum is a credit to him. It is a magical, quirky and welcoming Aladdin's Cave where everybody receives a genuine personal welcome.

Pat was an encyclopaedia of knowledge on the history of radio and a great storyteller as well. He generously allowed the setting up of the amateur station EI0MAR in the Martello Tower and was always fascinated with the contacts made. We shall never see his likes again.

Let us hope that the museum continues as a celebration of Pat's life and passion for radio. To his sons Simon and Noel, his daughter Evonne, his extended family and friends we extend our deepest sympathy.
    May he rest in peace.

de Tony EI5EM

Our thanks to Mike Terry for the above information

Watch this video - Hurdy Gurdy Man

Hurdy Gurdy Man is a portrait of the life and work of Pat Herbert.
    Pat is a lifelong collector of vintage radios and gramophones, and over the past 60 years, he has amased a wonderful collection of everything from the earliest morse code inkers, to gramophones and radios which pre date both world wars. In 2003, Pat decided to display his collection to the public and established the Ye Olde Hurdy Gurdy Museum of Vintage Radio, which resides in the Martello Tower overlooking Howth Harbour, in County Dublin

N2OWR, EI8EJB, 2W0YFC and 24 others like this.
  2. WA4JAY

WA4JAY Ham Member QRZ Page

May are Brother Rest in the Arms of God and Prayers and God Bless His Family from WA4JAY Jay Flora in Shelby, NC

EI8EJB, N7BDY, KC0KJG and 8 others like this.
  3. ZS1SBW

ZS1SBW QRZ Lifetime Member #505 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

N8MJ, EI5HIB, AJ6KZ and 9 others like this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for posting this and including the video link. RIP, Pat Herbert. The world needs more gentle souls like him. And ham radio needs more folks with an appreciation of radio history and its preservation.

KC0KJG, AJ6KZ, KC2YMO and 7 others like this.
  5. M0DHA

M0DHA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for sharing this , RIP Pat , this is superb history that will never be forgotten .

2W0YFC, F8WBD and N4FZ like this.
  6. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

HI PAT HERBER , the nice museum : RESPECT fully vy73 DJOAJ erkem

M0DHA and F8WBD like this.
  7. KH2PM

KH2PM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been to the Hurdy Gurdy Museum of Vintage Radio in the Martello Tower twice in my visits to Dublin and Howth.

I'm sad to hear that Pat Herbert has passed away. Condolences to his family and friends.

M0DHA, AJ6KZ and WN1MB like this.
  8. VK6RR

VK6RR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

9. VK6RR

VK6RR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for letting us see such a wonderful person and his magnificent collection. May he rest in peace in a place full of radios and meet up with Senior Marconi.

Roy VK6RR

WN1MB and F8WBD like this.
  10. EI3CTB

EI3CTB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have operated as EI0MAR from the Hurdy Gurdy Museum for the past few years celebrating International Marconi Day. Pat was there for each activation always interested in where our signal was reaching and how many QSOs were in the log. Pat was a gentleman and enjoyed being around all thing radio. RIP Pat

NL7W, AJ6KZ, KC2YMO and 2 others like this.
  11. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

God bless Pat RIP.Love and good wishes to all of his family in this time of sorrow. John G0WXU.

12. EI9JF

EI9JF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have visited the Tower...Interesting Place...RiP Pat...Nicky/Ei9JF.

13. W2JDB

W2JDB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rest In Peace

14. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Pat, bravo pour ton immense travail!
    Je suis très triste de lire que Pat Herbert est décédé. Condoléances à sa famille et ses amis.
    Chris.

15. W0ML

W0ML Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I spent Father's Day 2016 at the Museum, but I didn't get to meet Pat. Requiescat In Pace! de WØML