70cm pixie/simple radio schematics

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KN4BSH, Jul 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. KN4BSH

KN4BSH Ham Member QRZ Page

Folks,
    I just built a Pixie kit for 40m, and having a blast learning about electronics and schematic reading. however, are there any 70cm pixie/simple radio schematics or kits on the market? I am looking for something super simple and fixed for the calling frequency that I can build to operate CW with a friend a few blocks away. 70cm just seems to work better in our location then 2m; however, I will not be opposed to a 2m solution.

This is more for the experience and learning then operating/DXing.

Thank you

VK3YE likes this.
  2. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy would be buying a Baofeng handheld and tone modulating it to send morse. It's not real CW and if you were chatting to a friend you would go well away from the calling frequency. But it would work and would be cheap.

Build your own wouldn't be a trivial exercise. 70cm is completely different to HF in relation to the circuits and techniques used. 2m would be easier to build gear for. 6m easier still.

But if you did want 70cm I'd experiment with UHF modules. You can get good ranges out of them with a good receiver. Again tone modulate for Morse. My experiences of them at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/projects/projuhf.htm

SDR Receiver dongles can receive all mode and could be OK but then you'd be tied to a computer. A good possibility if used along with a crystal oscillator that's multiplied up for 70cm and keyed. Or on receive a converter going down to an HF receiver.

Another possibility is a crystal controlled transmitter and super regen receiver. That's easier for 2, 6 or 10m. A superregen receiver is easy to build for the FM broadcast band and to convert to 6m. Not so easy to get it going up on 2m. Some examples of superregen receivers at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/projects/projsuper.htm Again these are no good for CW so you will need to modulate it.

3. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are modules that allow you to build a rig, google Dorji DRA818 this is a pretty easy place to start in building either 2m or 70cm FM rig.

4. KN4BSH

Thank you for your suggestions - 70cm just works best for us due to urban area; however, 6m would be nice, and you mention it would be easier. Do you know of any kits or schematics that would allow me to build a 6m CW or SSB radio?

Thank you.

5. KN4BSH

I will check the link out... thank you.

6. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

There are few if any kits but many schematics are online, although you may have to modify an AM or DSB transmitter circuit to CW. Similarly there are many circuits for receive converters that a good search will reveal.

Since 36 MHz crystals are widely available a possibility is a 14 MHz CW transmitter and simple transverter.

If you go the 'from scratch' route be prepared to spend at least a year of study and building simpler projects until you have successfully built what you want. But it will be educational and worth it!