706 MkIIg Power Mod

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by AD5UT, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. AD5UT

AD5UT Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone tried the 706 Mk2G power mod? Does it burn out the finals? Thanks.

2. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Andy,

I'm not sure what mod you are refering to but take it from me when I say that a small increase in transmit power is really insignificant.

Even a doubling of power from 100 watt to 200 watts is usually not very noticable. You have to go to about 500 watts for a noticable increase.

So why bother? Your radio is engineered to produce about 100 watts on HF and Six meters, 50 watts on two meters and 20 watts on 70 cm. That's plenty. If you really want to increase your signal, concentrate on the antenna. Placing increased stress on your rig's components for a small increase in power is not a good idea. All those highly paid engineer types probably knew what they were doing when they laid down the specifications for the 706.

BTW, I too have a 706. We connected it to a full size three element forty meter wire yagi for field day, and we got many comments about our really big signal! All at the aforementioned 100 watt output level!

Kinda like real estate, but different?

Antenna! Antenna! Antenna!

73 Gary WG7X

3. AD5UT

AD5UT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Gary, I am running a vertical as you've probably noticed, I'm looking forward to getting some wire up, or maybe a beam. That will probably take care of some of the stations that come in 10 over but can't hear me.

73s de KE5AQG

4. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Andy,

No problem. The 706 is an amazing radio. Not because it has the best receiver, or the biggest transmitter but simply because of its versatility.

You should have seen that wire yagi! 65-70 feet up, and pointed at the middle of the country. We made 450 qso's with that set-up and all with my 706. In 24 hours, we worked almost every state.

So what can we normal folks do? The 40 meter antenna was awesome, but geeze! The amount a real estate it covered...

If you have access to a tree or three things get a little better. Personally, I have been using wire antennas for the last fifteen years or so, first because of job related problems, then just because they worked well and were easy to put up.

Somtimes a small tri-bander on the roof works well also. I did that at one house where I used a Radio Shack tripod mounted on two pressure treated 2X4's. That antenna was up for over a year and worked very well.

Currently, I'm using a classic doublet antenna. Two pieces of wire, totaling about 130 feet, with an insulator in the middle, and fed with ladder line through a tuner. During the recent sunspot maxima, I was able to work most of the stuff the big boys could, I just needed to be a little more patient. Now that the sunspots are diminishing, I feel the need for that tri-bander on the roof again!

Use your imagination, and a copy of the ARRL antenna book. You'll do well!

73 for now, and i hope to work you on the bands! Gary WG7X

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.