70 cm FM Simplex National Calling Freq?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N7BKV, Jan 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

SO, looks like you have it figured out.

N7BKV likes this.
  2. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey I can see Antioch from there:)

3. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had a receiver parked on 446.0 here is S. Texas for a couple of years and I have never heard a QSO on it. (yes, I do occasionally give a call) I havent tried it during a contest.
    Tom WA4ILH

4. KK6YAE

KK6YAE Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends on where you live. Here in SoCal, 446 is big. I’ve made more contacts, and further contacts on 446 than on 52. In fact, did some testing over the contest weekend, and every station could get out/hear better when switching to UHF from VHF. Most likely due to all the urban density, tall concrete buildings, and rocky hills we have here with little to no vegetation.

5. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

In our local area 146.52 is practically jammed all the time with informal 'nets running at all hours. Really bites for contests. Its been this way for years.

If I'm not way out in the boonies I call 446 simplex for SOTA. It takes longer to get 4 QSOs, but if I insisted on 2m I have to wait until the guys stop talking on .52, move to .56 or .58 if they aren't there too. Its more of a challenge but 5w out and a bit more gain on the same boom compared to 2m. And more than once I've lugged up a hill and realized the 2m elements were left in the car, and just proceeded to call CQ on 70cm anyway.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's kinda similar here, but if you want to make quick contest contacts, I've found it can be done.

First, insert your callsign in a break. When acknowledged, say, "I'm doing a radio exercise here and really appreciate your help. Would you all just give me your callsign and location so I know how this is working?"

And, usually, they do. Then you log them all, convert locations to grid squares, and say thank you.:) I go the extra step to advise each station what grid they're in, based on their location report, and say, "For reference, you're in DM12 and I'm in DM04" (or whatever it is), "did you get that okay?" When they acknowledge they got that okay, it's a contact.:p

K3RW likes this.
  7. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

IIRC, ARRL used to have rules against people parking on calling frequencies for QSOs, but that seems to have changed somewhat recently. If that's true, I really wished they hadn't.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I see no issue with it.

A long, long time ago...back in the 1970s when 2m FM was really a thing (and actually so was 220 MHz FM, on 223.50) without "parking" anywhere we'd make literally hundreds of FM contacts in VHF contests.

N6VI/6 in Field Day beat the multi-station kilowatt FD station W2RQ in NJ by using VHF-FM very heavily from an excellent hilltop location in Los Angeles. W2RQ ran a kilowatt on all HF bands from a very good location, using a huge Army diesel generator that was probably good for 20kW. It was quite an operation and at the time they broke the all-time "most QSO" record. But no multiplier for using a kilowatt. N6VI/6 here in L.A. ran low power and lots of bands but did an amazing job on VHF FM and I think made about 500 QSOs on 146.52, since they were line of sight to everyone in L.A. using a 2W hand-held, so they could work "everybody" who had any kind of 2m rig, no matter how poor it was. They had a higher score.

And that was Field Day!

In 1992 (I think it was that year) for the June VHF QSO Party I was part of N6CA/6, operating from Mt. Pinos (el. 8831' asl, overlooking both L.A. and the entire central valley of CA). I worked 6m, so wasn't part of the "FM gang" we had there, but Miguel W6YLZ manned the 223.50 MHz FM station, which was 500W output to stacked vertical beams on a tower. He made over 400 QSOs on 223.50. That didn't mean "parking" on the frequency at all. He'd just hear a new station and ask for a contact. From up there, we could hear mobiles in San Diego and also in Sacramento (those are 500 miles apart), and hand-helds anywhere in the L.A. area, so probably 95% of the contacts made would never have heard "each other," but they all heard us.

I haven't done this in a long time, but it sure used to work, and probably could still work today from a good site.