ad: M2Ant-1

6M NOOB Propagation Question

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC7RAD, Jun 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

AA7QQ likes this.
  2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have absolutely no problem with someone remaining on 50.125 MHz after making a contact. However, one needs to keep each transmission relatively short and to allow a few seconds before replying to the other station so that other stations can break into the QSO. This keeps activity on the "calling frequency" so that other stations can know that the band is open. Otherwise, if you move away then the frequency is again dead and, without any activity, the fact that the band is open goes unnoticed.

Of course, there are always going to be those always local operators who get upset because you are operating on the frequency when they are listening for stations farther away. However, there are other stations, in other localities, that are doing exactly the same thing. Without someone operating on the frequency, the band openings go unnoticed. So, ignore the comments of the operator who is complaining and keep on operating!

But, do keep the transmissions fairly short and give time between transmissions so that others can enter into the conversation.

Glen, K9STH

AA7QQ likes this.
  3. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember many many years ago a co-worker and I were in a SSB QSO on 6 meters one evening around midnight on 50.125. We're both in NJ. Band had been totally dead for many days. All of a sudden, a station broke in from Alaska. I heard him and my co-worker who was about 20 miles South of me heard nothing. I then proceeded to work 4 more Alaskan stations all in the course of about 5 minutes and then they were gone. My co-worker never heard any of them. For our QSO, it's interesting that my 7 element beam was facing Southeast towards him and his beam (I believe it was 5 elements) was facing Northeast.
    But, if we weren't on 50.125, would the Alaskan contacts have been made. Things happened so fast, I never did have time to turn the antenna in any other direction.

AD5HR likes this.
  4. WA9SVD

When otherwise preoccupied, when I'm at home or at our club station, I will often monitor 50.125 MHz at a reduced volume. If I can, I will reply to a CQ, and occasionally call a CQ myself, and wait for a reply. Sometimes it works.

5. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that operators above all else need to be courteous in the use of the 6 meter calling frequencies.
    It used to be when the band was open, there would commonly be 10 or 20 deep stations all on the calling frequency at the same time.
    This is not an example of good operating skills.

I think the days of just listening on the 6m SSB calling frequency to see if the band is open have passed by. Many stations use band scopes, internet spotting, using digital modes or tune around to see what is there.

Besides there is more than one calling frequency. There is the SSB calling frequency on 50.125 . There is 50.110, which is a sort of DX calling frequency. There are quite a few digital mode calling frequencies. CW calling frequency etc.

I think a short chat on the calling frequency for a few minutes, if there is no activity, might be OK.
    But ignoring other operators instructions to move seems rude. Sure they may be acting rudely as well, but there is no point in everyone acting rudely.

If your station does not have a great antenna, installed in a quiet location, up high in the air, you may not be hearing all the other stations. Just because you can not hear stations on the calling frequency does not mean they are not there. These other operators who are giving advice may be hearing these stations, or they may be trying to hear them.

There may be rare stations in DX locations or rare grid squares operating that are using the same frequency. Just because you can not hear them, does not mean you are causing not interference to them, or others trying to work them.

I am sure this is all common sense operating.

Enjoy all the wild - weirdness that is part of 6 meter propagation.

6. WA9SVD

IF 6 Meters is truly dead, a brief QSO on the calling frequency shouldn't be a problem; if a "rag chew" is anticipated, then yes, move off 50.125 MHz. If it gets the band energized, that is GOOD!
    What may be "local" to us, may well be "DX" to someone else thousands of miles away! NO ONE would know if there are not at least occasional calls (usually CQ's) on 50.125 MHz, with time to listen. Just limit the amount of time, and give your call frequently. We ALL know what "CQ" means; it's the CALL SIGN that matters. Give your call MORE frequently than simply calling "CQ."

7. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I'm calling, I'll always give city and grid. Nowadays, call zones aren't even a good guess at location, and if someone wants to swing a beam, or if I'm a grid they need, they don't have to guess.

6m is open a lot more than folks realize.

N7UJU and KA0HCP like this.
  8. WA9SVD

I give a "CQ" and call, that is basically all. IF we make contact, THEN I give my grid square, in either 4 or six characters. If they CAN hear my signal, they will swing their beam as needed. Certainly, someone in Oregon isn't going to point a beam to "9" land just based on my CQ. If you object, take it up with the FCC.

9. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Someone in Oregon likely won't have to move a beam at all.

10. WA9SVD

THAT depends upon the capability of each station. If the OR station has a beam with a number of elements and a narrow beamwidth, he MAY hear me as a weak signal, but if he swings his beam South, towards California, I may become an S9 signal!