6M NOOB Propagation Question

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC7RAD, Jun 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

If you only hear strong signals for a brief time , could be meteor scatter, sporadic E signals can be Strong, longer duration sometimes less than an hour , sometimes all day. F2 propagation can be good DX but not recently as the sunspots are absent in this part of the 11 year cycle.
    Your 2nd post described weak sporadic E-skip, the E-skip season for this summer is going to wind down and be back in late autumn and early winter months.
    No Idea of what your antenna is but if you are using something like a G5RV or some HF wire thru a tuner, you will sure have better results with a 6M Yagi on a tall tower!

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

My vote is for Sporadic E. (Es.) It can last for a few seconds, a few hours; or longer. MS will have (usually) a characteristic sound; if the voices heard, even briefly, are normal, it is more likely Es. Early May through July is peak Es season, so that is most likely. KEEP your ears clear; there may well be some really good openings, and Es is not usually dependent upon the sunspot number (or lack thereof.:()

The rest of the time, 6 M will be mostly "dead," but there ARE openings that many (who only listen for DX) miss. Several years, I was home and monitoring 6 M in the background, and I heard a slightly weak signal calling CQ. I responded, and had a nice but short QSO with a gentleman in Costa Rica! After I finished, he continued to call "CQ," but with no other takers for over 30 minutes. Now "Wrong Beach CA" to Costa Rica does constitute DX, at least on 6 Meters! There may or may not have been Es involved, as well as Te propagation, but it just goes to show that the "Magic Band" can, indeed, be magic.:rolleyes:

3. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

6 meters is open as I type 7:17 PM EDT (actually it's been open since yesterday).

6M-2019jul21.jpg

4. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6m was open all weekend. The contest over the weekend exposed that. I found it interesting that stations were very strong, and stayed that way all weekend, but the band wasn't especially crowded. That seems to indicate to me that the band is there, but participation often is not. And I'm not a "big gun", my station is rather modest.

5. WA2CWA

6. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

6 is open?
    dxmaps shows exactly ONE QSO worldwide, that is not digital.
    Open to some must be different to others.

7. WA2CWA

I made no distinction relative to any modes. At map view, a contact is a contact regardless of mode.

As I type right now, 6 is open up and down the East coast and into the Caribbean. Southwest U.S. and Mexico are working into Japan.

8. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

DX maps only can show what is reported.
    Many 6 meter junkies can tell you of when the Spotters are empty, but can make many contacts.
    Calling CQ is what is needed.

Ed

W2VW likes this.
  9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, but some time back, I was told (quite forcibly) to NEVER call CQ on 50.125 MHz, because the ops were listening for DX. But if NOBODY ever calls CQ, HOW will anyone know if the band is open?:confused:

10. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Call all you want. Hence the name "6 meter calling frequency".
    If anyone complains, ignore them.
    Please move up in frequency, if you get a contact.
    See this chart from the ARRL: http://www.arrl.org/band-plan

Ed