6m All-Mode - Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KE2SJ, May 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF6A

KF6A Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess it never occurred to you that you're not the only one that knows that.

Whoda thunk it? I mean it's not like I've never been around at 2am spotting beacons in on double-hop, only you know these things, right? SMH

2. KF6A

KF6A Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, everyone knows that, thanks. We'll have to agree to disagree, because 6m meteor scatter is, for the most part, available 24/7/365 when there is no Es. While some times of the year are better than others, often by a significant margin, there are always meteors to be worked, especially so with the newer wsjt modes.

3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

6A:

CW and SSB operation are available when there are tropospheric conditions and those happen day or night, in any season. However, such can happen for short periods of time or for extended periods of time. Also, for relatively close in, like out to around 250-miles to 300-miles, the height of the antenna above ground and the relative gain of the antenna, definitely come into the equation. With excellent antennas, such operation can be often had for 24-hours a day using CW / SSB.

Meteor scatter is a whole different animal!

Glen, K9STH

4. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

A good test to answer your question yourself - get off the repeaters , operate simplex , if you find you like simplex then go for it .

My 1st non-local contact was on 6m , I was on FM and difficult copy both ways - turns out the other station was SSB ;) and in DC east coast , Mn.
    I also found later , the my radio had issues , Yaesu FT-897D , low power on HF & 6m , so that contact was with about 3 watts .
    About the time I had around 46 states on OMISS net was when I added metering to check power , on 160 1/2-3/4 watt , 6m was the highest .

5. KC0BIN

KC0BIN Ham Member QRZ Page

With bitter, bitter regrets, I had to re-list my beloved 690RII again on the Bay.......the economic sidekick of Murphy's Law. Very, very unhappy about it.....!!

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem I see is if the fellow wants to run SSB mobile, he will need a horizontal antenna, such as a "halo," etc. MOST mobile stations are using FM and vertical antennas, but cross-polarization (horizontal vs. vertical) results in 20-30 dB attenuation. A radio with that power range, with a decent antenna (such as a 3-4 element Yagi) can make good contacts when the band is open, but that is commonly May-July, with a weaker activity peak around December-January. Otherwise, don't expect 6 M to be active like the lower HF bands. (Be prepared for days or weeks of no activity or low levels; 6 M is usually considered a "weak signal" band, and more power and a higher antenna is usually needed. 20 Meters it ain't, but you may find some locals on the air.

7. WA9SVD

If your 6 el. Yagi was horizontally mounted, I have no reason you couldn't "hit" a repeater, since repeaters are typically vertically polarized. You were looking at (typically) 20-30 dB attenuation due to cross-polarization. I bet you can easily hit the repeater with a 5 Watt H-T!

KC0BIN likes this.
  8. KC0BIN

KC0BIN Ham Member QRZ Page

The beam was vertically polarized; 10W just wouldn't do it.......and I wasn't keen on dropping $500 on a TE Systems amp.

9. WA9SVD

There are LOTS of 6 Meter "newbies" out there, whether licensed for 60 seconds, 60 years, or anywhere in-between. And NO, they may NOT know "that," or anything else about 6 Meters.
    Many are not quite yet set up for meteor scatter. YOU may have a "fantastical" high, 8-10 element beam, but most will be more modest, and may not be able to operate MS. Give them, and me a break.
    YOU may have plenty of experience (as do I) but we SHOULD cater to ALL operators, not just to the most experienced, or best equipped.

10. WA9SVD

Well, that is unfortunate and surprising. Was the Yagi antenna really pointed in the correct direction? Some Yagi's can have indeed deep nulls off the side lobes. I know I can use a H-T with a whip antenna (before the repeater) to work up to 60 miles, if "line of sight," not to mention satellite contacts. (No repeater required.)

KC0BIN likes this.