ad: Amateuramateur-1

6m Activation of the Highest Peak in the Northeast - Mt. Washington, NH

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AB1OC, Sep 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. W1FBV

W1FBV Ham Member QRZ Page

New England's first snow was on Mt. Washington a few days ago.

K2CAJ likes this.
  2. N1NDN

N1NDN Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not the coldest place, but definitely the windiest on record. I believe the warmest temperature they ever recorded up there was 73 degrees.

3. K2WH

K2WH XML Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Congratulations.

Before SOTA, back in the 70's, I guess I activated Mt. Washington more than once on 2 meters with my portable 7 element beam and my ICOM 202 SSB portable rig.

Rig was in the back pack and a broomstick was the antenna boom with holes drilled in it for the elements.

The broomstick doubled as a hiking stick.

4. K2WH

K2WH XML Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Well, you have the entire Presidential range there. I also did SOTA (before it was SOTA), from not only Mt. Washington but Jefferson and Webster.

5. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

The coldest windiest place in the US is not Mt Washington but you are close in that it does have Washington in its name,

The coldest windiest place in the US is in fact 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington D.C..

W0AAT and AE1N like this.
  6. AB1OC

AB1OC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your suggestions! It looks like we're going to be doing in Mt. Wachusett, MA later this month (September). As soon as I have more details, I'll post them here.

Fred, AB1OC

7. AB1XG

AB1XG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Mt Greylock (SP) in MA?

8. W1DMH

W1DMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Equinox in Southern VT has road, many of the VT ski areas have their lifts running too. There is always Cannon with the Tram. Mt Agimenticus, but LOTS of RF. Bear Hill in VT, Greylock in western MA
    Doug W1DMH

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Come to WA, where some of the passes are nearly that high. We have several peaks in the Cascade Mountain Range that are WAY higher than Mt. Washington, including Rainier (14,410' ASL). It happens to be in a National Park, too: http://www.nps.gov/mora/.

10. W1DMH

W1DMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Been there done that, would love to add Little Tahoma, and a bunch of others. http://w1dmh.blogspot.com/
    Doug W1DMH

WA7PRC likes this.