ad: k1jek

JS8Call now supports APRS over HF

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Apr 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

IMG_20200401_125159_569.jpg

W7ROX, DM7RO, N4DJT and 8 others like this.
  2. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is interesting, I may try it soon. Is there any chance that we can read the GPS directly? When moving there is no way I can constantly enter the grid square by hand, the program *really* needs to take GPS input!

OH8STN likes this.
  3. OH8STN

Perhaps you skipped through the video a bit. It's in there. You can set the js8call utilities app to send GPS coordinates to JS8Call, every 10 minutes. Are you stood in this mode to drive down to the south of Finland, sending APRS POS every 10 min. without touching the computer or radio. It was just like an APRS beacon with JS8Call messaging. Perhaps have another run through with the video.
    Julian oh8stn

K8XG, KQ6XA, DO9YY and 1 other person like this.
  4. N6WH

N6WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent once again! Thank you so much for this. I see some very tangible benefits to my road trip adventures. Thank you!

OH8STN likes this.
  5. OH8STN

You're very welcome. One of the tests made was driving down to the south of Finland, then returning to the north. I purposely used the same power I would use in my HT on VHF, which was 5 Watts. Having the option to use the narrow bandwidth slow mode on JS8, allowed my mobile station to use "igates" in Switzerland, Sweden, UK. It was really an eye-opener.
    Julian oh8stn

N6WH, K8XG and K7SWT like this.
  6. N3HGB

I watched a totally different video. It was on the JS8Call website.

OH8STN likes this.
  7. OH8STN

Fair enough. Both the JS8Call Utilities app and JS8Call get updated. New features, functionality, ... Definitely watch this latest video.
    Julian oh8stn

KB1YHI likes this.
  8. K7CTR

K7CTR Ham Member QRZ Page

Julian,

I've enjoyed your videos for the past year. I really enjoy the versatility and utility of your projects and as a prior intercept operator in the Navy I see the potential here. If you want to see some serious antennas check out the ones that I used to use when in the service on my qrz.com webpage. I always look forward to your videos.

Best regards (73),

Tim K7CTR

N6WH and OH8STN like this.
  9. OH8STN

Thanks Tim. I'll have a look at your QRZ page.
    Julian oh8stn

10. N0AWT

N0AWT Ham Member QRZ Page

Are those elephant cages on your QRZ page?

WB0MM likes this.
  11. K7CTR

K7CTR Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what a lot of people called them. We even told many locals that we were a submarine base and that the subs came in under the coast through a tunnel, we raised them up in the building in the middle and repaired them. : )

Not sure how much they really believed us...

12. OH8STN

Elephant cages? Do you mean the vertical directional antenna German vertical antenna arrays? Anyway thanks for the reminder. I've been meeting to update the page for a while.

13. N3HGB

From the video on your site it shows sending your grid square to allcall and having it get into the APRS network. I tried that and it did not work. I was getting out, pskreporter has me being picked up all over the place including South Africa, but no position made it through. I wanted to give this a shot before I downloaded the GPS utility.
    js8aprs1a.jpg

Also from the video on your site, it looks like these is a way to report APRS positions that I do not see. In your video there was a setting to send info to an APRS server? Do these older things no longer work? Is no one sending info to APRS? 14 hours ago light was dark and I pretty much hit everywhere it was dark on 40 meters.
    Does the new utility do something totally different than this?
    Thanks
    N3HGB

js8aprs1.jpg

14. OH8STN

Sounds like you still haven't watched this video tutorial. The features you spoke about are from previous versions of JS8Call. @allcall for aprs is deprecated. There are now two methods. Firstly, one can still use the position reporting command manually in JS8Call for example "@APRSIS GRID KP25QC92LE". It is also possible to automate this functionality using the JS8Call API. The API allows developers to make their own add-ons for JS8Call. The JS8Call Utilities app is one such add-on app, purpose built for APRS position reports, emails, and SMS messages via APRSIS through JS8Call. Having a purpose built tools was advantageous since is removed script errors and automated the process. All of this is in this new video.
    Julian oh8stn

R2BDY likes this.
  15. N3HGB

Well that explains it, I'll add the utility and see how that works. Meanwhile note I covered about 8,000 miles to South Africa with 10 watts or so on 40 meters. That is pretty amazing :D

OH8STN likes this.