ad: CQMM-1

RF-Seismograph picked up the M6.5 from Idaho at 23:52 UTC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Apr 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Everybody;

Special Message: Strong M6.5 earthquake released in Idaho. This quake was shallow and was felt all over the PNW. According to the USGS website over 32000 people in the North West reported it and filed a report on their website!

Synopsis: The 20 m band was very strong starting with the precursor of the quake at 21:30 UTC. The 30 m band was creating a noise dome with a dip at the same time of the quake (21:30 UTC to 01:30 UTC). 40m band was creating a transition jump just before the quake released. 20 m and all bands went into a radio blackout just after 00:00 UTC. Typical 15 m pre noise dome and 10 m noise increase indicating that this quake is still active and has created after shocks.

[​IMG]

Mag Location Time Depth [km]

M6.5 72 km W of Challis Idaho 2020-03-31 23:52 10.0

Detected:
    40 m noise jump, 30 m noise dip, 20 m post atten., 15 m peak, 10 m noise incr., precursor (-2 h to ip)

If you want to receive these earthquakes reports on a daily bases please join the MDSR.io group. Please feel free to forward this message to third parties.

All the best and 73;

Alex - VE7DXW

KK6BXO, VE3NE, KA2RRK and 1 other person like this.
  2. WB0OEW

WB0OEW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is your theory that RF is effected by earthquakes? Then your methodology is incorrect. You are interpreting events after the fact to match your theory. The correct way is to be handed a blind set of RF data from which you deduce the time of the quake. I'm not saying you are wrong, but only by doing it this way successfully multiple times will you be gathering support for your theory.

N7KO, VE6MRV, N1GKE and 12 others like this.
  3. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Time for the pirate attacks vs. ice cream sales graphs yet?

N7KO, AG5DB, VE6MRV and 5 others like this.
  4. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Pseudoscience.

pseu·do·sci·ence
    /ˌso͞odōˈsīəns/

noun: pseudoscience
    1. a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.
    Pseudoscience consists of statements, beliefs, or practices that are claimed to be both scientific and factual but are incompatible with the scientific method.

Pseudoscience is often characterized by contradictory, exaggerated claims; reliance on confirmation bias rather than rigorous attempts at refutation; lack of openness to evaluation by other experts; absence of systematic practices when developing hypotheses; and continued adherence long after the pseudoscientific hypotheses have been experimentally discredited. The term pseudoscience is considered pejorative, because it suggests something is being presented as science inaccurately or even deceptively. Those described as practicing or advocating pseudoscience often dispute the characterization.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    AG5DB, WD4ELG, KR3DX and 9 others like this.
  5. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ironically, the epicenter is 300 feet from... Wait for it... Shake Creek.

N7KO, KD0XL, WA5PCR and 12 others like this.
  6. W5COG

W5COG Ham Member QRZ Page

7. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

8. N2AZN

N2AZN Ham Member QRZ Page

No PUN intended I'm sure......:D:D:D:D

9. AA5H

AA5H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WE FOUND THE CONNECTION

[​IMG]

KN4PHS likes this.
  10. KQ7D

KQ7D Ham Member QRZ Page

Quite a ride here near Boise. Felt quite similar to the ‘89 (World Series) shaker in the Bay Area.

VHF/UHF erupted afterward. Nice bit of excitement.

K7SKE and (deleted member) like this.
  11. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

just like on the golf course or any other job. 250 members= 250 golf pro's,superintendents,golf teachers. Everyone knows how to do your job better than you do. If their so dam smart, how they aren't rich?

12. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting Correlation :cool: Need more data points from past events and future observations.
    G3SEA/KH6

N0NEV, WA9WSJ, K0WJ and 3 others like this.
  13. DL6BCX

DL6BCX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm, never heard that RF is effected by earthquakes. Have to think out it.

14. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

wow, you are a double survivor?

N6SPP and K0WJ like this.
  15. PE1PME

PE1PME Ham Member QRZ Page

Although I am with WB0OEW about the scientific approach, it doesn't sound very strange to me at all!
    First thing that comes to my mind is the piëzo- electric effect. Quartz, as we all should know, does have that effect
    very strongly! And quartz is the most common mineral in the earth's crust. And an earthquake do put some
    mechanical stress on Quartz...and just a few moons ago we use spark transmitters to communicate worldwide...
    So a few cubical kilometers (miles) of quartz and a lot of stress....well, sounds not strange to me...
    Just some thought and I think it is worth the research, maybe it can predict earthquakes!

K0RKH, MW1CFN, K7GYB and 3 others like this.