ad: Radclub22-1

E-Mail Over HF With ARDOP Winlink

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0PIR, Mar 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

See how to download, install, setup, send and receive e-mail using Winlink Express.

IMG_1555.PNG

I have used ARDOP with my ICOM 7610, ICOM 7300 and my little QRP Transceiver (Elecraft KX2). So, in case of a Internet outage in your area, using Winlink Express, you will be able to send email over HF. Not to mention VHF and UHF if you have that capability in your shack.

See The full article here.

N8YUI, K4NAL, AE8W and 2 others like this.
  2. N1MHD

N1MHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I watched your YouTube this weekend, set up an account, configured the software and my IC-7300, and successfully and reliably was sending email via HF. Thank you for taking the time to put together the video, Rich, much appreciated.

73 de N1MHD

AI6XN, K4NAL, K2NCC and 1 other person like this.
  3. K0PIR

Thank you so much for commenting and letting me know. That’s great! Best 73 and good DX!

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Rich,

Pardon me for asking, but I don't know the answer at this level, and am wondering whether this re-transmission is legal. Certainly commercial 'spam' re-transmission is not.Your comments appreciated.

Chip W1YW

K0UO, K3XR and KY5U like this.
  5. K0PIR

Hi Chip, thanks for watching and commenting. The short answer is this is just like any other digital mode and passing radio traffic. RTTY, BPSK, SSTV, CW, etc. On SSB nets you’ll hear hams passing traffic in the form of a radiogram. We can send radiograms with Winlink too. Not to mention weather reports and other things. I encourage you to visit the link in the original post and Winlink.org. There are many uses for this.

I hope that helps.

Be safe and 73!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    W1YW likes this.
  6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Good video, good content, minimum on camera time (good), no "uyh uh uh" all good. Good content knowledge. Moved really slow, perhaps a rehearsal or two.... Worth the time to watch.

K3RW, K2NCC and K0PIR like this.
  7. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

Winlink is great for sending text sms messages also. As those are short, it goes pretty good if prop is in your favor to a working relay.

K0PIR likes this.
  8. N4EGA

N4EGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome. Would love to see more ham making use of WinLink.

K3RW and K0PIR like this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You can go to just about any Marine HF radio shop South of the US border and in parts of Europe and Asia, they'll set you up on this great email service, which cost nothing compared to the satellite.
    One place I know of in Panama will even get you a fake amateur license call to use, and in Mexico they lease you their call license which is perfectly legal. At this time in Mexico that's about the only way to get a amateur call

K0PIR likes this.
  10. N1LZF

N1LZF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks there Rich.
    I tried that mode and tweaked my settings and it works great. Thanks, Mike N1LZF

K0PIR likes this.
  11. N4EGA

N4EGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I've done this with my wife when I am out camping in the national forests and have zero cell service. Just a quick message and she replies with less than 10 words. It's fun to set up like this and show just how useful some of the 'old' tech can be...

K0PIR likes this.
  12. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool !
    Whatever works use it :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

K0PIR likes this.
  13. K5YDD

K5YDD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Packet did all this years ago. BBS and forums too.

WQ4G, K0PIR, WW5RM and 1 other person like this.
  14. AL7PX

AL7PX Ham Member QRZ Page

I used it many times out in Prince William Sound on overnights. No cell service in some parts of sound and Winlink HF was my only communication. Wish there were more RMS gateways closer to the sound. Closest station was Fairbanks, 300 miles away. Great system.
    Todd
    AL7PX

N6SPP and K0PIR like this.
  15. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

But packet was VHF back in the day, right? Although I saw some packet on 30 meters, but very limited.

K0PIR likes this.