ad: LZQSLprint-1

HR2.0 - ARRL CEO Is Out! YouTubers Bunch #10

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Mar 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In this episode from The YouTubers Bunch, we discuss Howard Michel, WB2ITX, the short-term CEO of the ARRL and how a change is leadership can affect the ARRL and Amateur Radio as a whole.

WA6QGH likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This will be 6 CEO's in 4 years, when they bring in the new CEO.

Amateur radio is only slightly affected.

The real issue is ARRL--NAAR as a representative body of Part 97 licensees. Right now they don't have the numbers to claim much influence. Mind you, positive efforts are and have been made to change that.

We need more of those 'just in case' Techs to be OTA ,and ARRL members.

That is job number one for any ARRL-NAAR CEO.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    WQ4G, KC5HWB and N0TZU like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It's fairly standard in most non profits to keep the BOD meetings closed. In the ARRL case, the directors and vice directors are proxies for the MEMBERSHIP. THEY are supposed to convey the concerns and wishes of the members, and, in general, that seems to be working.

No one is ashamed in these meetings, one supposes. The point is that a variety of positions, ideas, and approaches are discussed and keeping the BOD meeting closed ALLOWS that frank discussion and then consensus as applicable. Who wants to be inhibited in a public meeting? That could be like a Bernie Sanders rally and its disruption.

The ARRL is acting in fair practice keeping the meetings closed, also, transcribing and summarizing the minutes takes more than 5 minutes. Six weeks is a little long, but not unreasonable. The directors are busy volunteers, ya know.

Minutes are not contest logs...they aren't due in three days.

Some non profits are having board meetings, and THEN 'STACKEHOLDER ' meetings' (SM), where the SM is open to members.

KA0HCP, WB8SCT, N9LCD and 1 other person like this.
  4. KB9OAK

KB9OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Basically, milk the golden calf till it's dry and spilt town. That is the ARRL's plan. Won't be renewing.

KD5RJZ, KG7HVR, KC8FRP and 4 others like this.
  5. N9WRP

N9WRP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You guys should be running the ARRL. Great show.
    Thank you for your passion.

KL7IXW and KC5HWB like this.
  6. N5DAR

N5DAR Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL should be done away with! Tired of their BS!

KD5RJZ, KG7HVR, KC8FRP and 7 others like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

DO you have a model example for a non profit that adheres to unrealistic suggestions of some of the bloggers?

There are reasons why non profits are governed the way they are. If you want to tear the ARRL structure down, show us how to replace it.

KC5QNK, K9FV, K7YB and 12 others like this.
  8. KC5HWB

LOL not sure I want that responsibility, but thanks for the kind words.

9. KC5HWB

I can't agree with that. They do LOTS for spectrum defense. Regardless of some of their faults, I think we would be much worse-off without them.

KC5QNK, AB4KA, K9FV and 9 others like this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not listening to 38 minutes of that crap!!!
    I will waste my time calling CQ.

KD5RJZ, KG7HVR, K1OIK and 10 others like this.
  11. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

SIX CEO's in 4 YEARS strongly suggests that the League's BofD doesn't know it wants.

IMO the BofD is having great difficulty in planning; prioritizing its objectives; and communicating with the CEO

KG7HVR, NK2U, KT5OT and 1 other person like this.
  12. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. Those directors are taking all the profits for themselves! ;)

KG7HVR and KT5OT like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

They're just ragchewing on a net--with video. You can always spin the knob and see what else is cookin'.

:)

14. WQDK948

WQDK948 QRZ Member

As with any "niche" organization that attempts to maintain a smooth flow of information among its constituents, personalities and preferences get involved, and it is inevitable that someone's toes get stepped on. No malice is usually intended, but egos get in the way. We tend to categorize other individuals in a very superficial manner. Probably, there are "organization types" whose strengths may not extend much into the areas of technology and operational procedure. Others are literally wizards at the workbench, but don't give a flip about running an organization. Trying to keep all the members satisfied, I think, is something we can only dream about. Just for example, looking back over the leaders of our nation, it isn't terribly difficult to point out how each person was affected by assuming the responsibilities of the job, and the toll that it took on them. Some attempted to micro-manage everything, which left subordinates with the impression that they were not trusted to do the work with which they'd been entrusted. Others, frankly didn't much care about anything but photo opportunities and socializing with other world leaders, and left virtually every important decision to be made by consensus. There are different management types, and strengths that might be better exercised in another area within any organization. No one is suggesting that the AARL should model itself after the Cabinet, appointed by the President, but by serving on a board of directors, a person should assume the role of being an advisor, based upon individual area of expertise, and not just geography. Don't we usually prefer the services of a medical practitioner who specializes in treating patients with our problem? Being a "newby" to this hobby "officially," though far from it in practice (at age 75), the dream of operating my own radio station is something which I wish I'd fulfilled decades ago. The "tyranny of the urgent" gets in the way of the dreams many people have. I am looking for an enjoyable, gratifying, and challenging way to better myself, as barbershop singing did for me a generation ago. Others are looking for nothing more than that, also, and see radio as that opportunity. The "opportunity" is where our focus needs to be, I think; developing others. It's thrilling to participate in something that expands horizons, enables interaction with others, develops lifelong friendships and teamwork, while deepening appreciation and respect for others, regardless of their roots. I hope that amateur radio is such a vehicle for me at this season of my life, also. My apologies for the GMRS call; still haven't taken the Tech exam!

W8LV likes this.
  15. KJ6TSX

KJ6TSX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You just heard how much work is involved with a small 300 member club, just imagine what it is like with a national organization??

Most non-profit run their meeting using Roberts Rules of Order that require board meeting minutes only report motions that have been approved and other discussion to be omitted from the minutes.

If you want change get on the ARRL Board , Get on the Board and make some change.

K7YB, W1YW and W8LV like this.