ad: cq2k-1

Data Modes Audio Interface setup Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Jan 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

20200122_212219.jpg

KM4UGD, KJ4GK, N2GQ and 4 others like this.
  2. KA8VNG

KA8VNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video

WW3JR and OH8STN like this.
  3. AF5D

AF5D XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video!! This will make me try JS8Call. I used Raspberry Pi & SignalinkUSB for wsjt-x and fldigi before, until Rasberry Pi last update recently screwed all up and almost lost all of my QSO log. Back to Windows 10 now with the spare laptop. Hi hi...

See u in the waterfall,
    73 - W5BAY

4. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for that. I think I'll have to do a part 2 in the future. There are other ways to achieve the same thing come if a radio doesn't have an ALC meter. Anyway now it's time to focus on winter field day

5. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

A highly informative video, thank you I was especially interested in the Bandwidth, Filter and Linear audio explanations.

6. VA3ECO

VA3ECO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow. Great video. I don't own a PI, yet.
    But when I get tired of lugging my laptop around for portable operating and get one, I'll certainly use this video
    -Chris

7. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Julian -- always great videos.

Question / comment - the Yaesu FT 891 is a cheap priced super compact radio but lacks a built in sound card for these modes. The resulting solution is lots of additional cables, dongles, USB stuff, sound card plug ins, -- a rat nest and crossed fingers every time to make it all work. Those seem to be points of failure. Ground loops, static discharge, shielding issues, driver setup, com-port bingo and so on. . . Add to that the various rules like no plugging some items in at the same time.... oh my.... i gave up on the 891 because of this. Instead, I've found an IC-7300 instead in the field with everything built in. It's 1 cable for entire computer control, audio control, cw keying, JT/FT PSK and more.... it's 1 cable, one diver, and you're done. It seems net-net, you would reduce possible failure points - especially so since the 7300 is so reliable and easily set up -- all the gear carried into the field matters not if it doesn't work once it's been lugged up the mountain.

Have you tried the IC-7300 in the nordic field ?

N9RUT and K9JDN like this.
  8. KK4RDI

KK4RDI Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh man, you are complaining about the many cables you need when using digital modes but not mentioning the physical size and weight of the ic-7300. The 7300 is a base radio, not a qrp capable device. I use the the 891 with a usb hub and only a saberent $3 sound card, I label my cable with a label maker. I\m not even mentioning the $400 extra you paid for thr ic-7300. I own a ic-7200 which has the sound codec built in. easy peezy. The easiest radio to hook up for sound modes is the ubitx v.1.6 It took me 5 minutes to make it work on ft8. kk4rdi.

N1RBD likes this.
  9. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My goal is success in operation... lugging even the lightest weight gear into the field is totally meaningless if it fails to work... it's no different than carrying a bag of rocks !

10. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FT818 with a Pi 4 velcroed to the top and two short cables zipped into one and separated only on the connection ends. Simple and light.

No way I'd lug a 7300 and required power to a SOTA summit.