ad: cq2k-1

Retevis RT-72 Dual Band DMR/Analog HT for Under $100

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5ATA, Jan 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5ATA

K5ATA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Retevis sent me one of their new RT-72 radios to take a look at and review. It's packed with features, especially considering the low price point. It has APRS, GPS, dual band, 1w low and 5w high output and more. Check it out, it's a good deal at $95. 73, K5ATA

N4LNE/SK2022, LU2FWK, K5CYN and 2 others like this.
  2. ZL1PDT

ZL1PDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi look ok but the back ground to dark to see for somer boby with a but of eye sight problem,
    Thanks,Pieter

3. W2TH

W2TH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The font they use for the display looks like something from an old type writer. Would like to hear some analog audio from the radio. A lot of these Chinese radios have crappy audio in analog.

4. K5ATA

I will record some analog audio on it and post it for you... I find the audio to be ok. I just reviewed a TID Radio DP580, and the audio on that was superb... but it is only a 70cm radio.

W2TH likes this.
  5. VE7REN

VE7REN Ham Member QRZ Page

who is a dealer for these

6. W6IR

W6IR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Needless to say their website is confusing. In the "fine print" they have a link to the programming cable which uses the mic plug rather than the micro usb. And the what's included does not mention a programming cable at all.

7. K5ATA

Amazon.com... You can get them from their website too, but Amazon has certain advantages.

LU2FWK likes this.
  8. K5ATA

Yeah, a lot of times, the Chinese websites are less than easy to navigate. Amazon is your friend here. The micro usb was a piece of cake.

9. W6IR

W6IR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10. NU6O

NU6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought one off Amazon.. Nice radio, great build quality. The programming software has compatibility issues, Win 10 automatically takes care of it. Win 7 you must right click on the file and proceed to troubleshoot compatibility issues before it will install. It seems to have been written for XP.
    Next, has anyone figured out how to get APRS working? The book says nothing, the software has a section to supposedly turn it on. How do you enter your call sign ect???

11. KF5I

KF5I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Had to set compatibility mode to Windows 8 to get the programming app to write changes to a local data file. No PDF copy of the manual online on the Retevis Resources Center page so have to use a magnifying glass to read the tiny print in the chinglish manual (which isn't too bad). The manual has no information on using the programming app and there is no documentation or help in the app itself. The 'Help' tab has only 'About' with basic information about the version. Online I find multiple reviews of the radio but no information on how to program the RT72. Any suggestions on where to find that?

12. KE8OMX

KE8OMX Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings all! Could any of you that have this radio grab a firmware dump for me? You should be able to use this utility: https://github.com/OK2MOP/MD1702-tools

We believe that the internal circuitry of the baofeng dm-1702 and the RT72 are the same, and are hoping to test this theory.

13. KD9PKP

KD9PKP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can do it, but i need some instruction. This radio already has some isues. I do not want to make it worst. But your theory sound like be a fact. Upon reding from radio CPS reports Retevis RT72 DM-1702

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  14. KE8OMX

KE8OMX Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you able to clone this repository: https://github.com/OK2MOP/MD1702-tools

Then run this command:

python md1702-dfu readspi fullFlash.bin

It requires python to be ran. If you need some help with it maybe we can teamviewer?

15. KD9PKP

KD9PKP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OK I'm lost, my knowledge about python is limited to some thing on Raspian OS. I downloaded some files but I have no idea what to do next.