ad: Schulman-1

Propagation Tools and Contest Validation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Oct 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

ICQ Podcast Episode 309 -
    In this episode, Martin Butler (M1MRB/W9ICQ) discusses Propagation Tools with Steve Nicol G0KYA and finds out how the RSGB has modernised the adjudication of RSGB Contests for faster, more accurate results with Simone Wilson M0BOX.

ICQ AMATEUR/HAM RADIO PODCAST DONORS

We would like to thank Jim Thompson (2E0FOA) and our monthly and annual subscription donors for keeping the podcast advert free. To donate, please visit - http://www.icqpodcast.com/donate

News stories include: -
    • 2019 Construction Competition Winners
    • New On the Air Magazine
    • Concern and Confusion in California’s Amateur Radio Ranks
    • Apply now to run GB19YOTA
    The ICQPodcast can be downloaded from http://www.icqpodcast.com

upload_2019-10-20_20-14-35.png

M0TCH, KG4BFR and KA2FIR like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

• For prediction I use using Ace HF Pro and IONSUM, which are computer programs using the output of the IONCAP prediction method to determine the most suitable frequency band and required antenna gain under specific averaged conditions. The acronym stands for IONCAP SUMmary. Propagation predictions form an essential tool in the management of a HF wanting to work DX Stations. The data from such predictions are used to specify the types and operating frequency ranges required to work the DX by allowing for changes in the antennas take off angle to achieve maximum signal to the desired direction. Which it is used to contact DX stations utilizing both long path or short path on F layer, or to contact North American stations on daytime.
    ACE HF Pro, by Long Wave Inc allows me to analyze the entire HF spectrum using a single fixed transmitter location and multiple receive locations. The 64 Bit application has enhanced features and uses Google Earth and Google Maps to provide detailed HF Area Coverage Maps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  3. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ACE HF- Is this old program still available? Some links are dead.. VoaCap.com/hf is nice, and free. On VoaCap- check out the ' Prop Wheel' (& the various charts).

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, in fact I updated my software a few months ago.
    Long-Wave who owns the copyright on Ace is a defense contractor based in Oklahoma City and is very active in various Department of Defense Communications programs.
    They have a general program low cost program which hams or which anybody can use and a high-end program which is proprietary for defense department contractors/usr.

5. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Stephen. I'll search around for Long-Wave.. 73, Eric