ad: Mountaingoat-1

HR2.0 - Heil Parametric RX Audio System Demo

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Heil Parametric RX Audio System is an equalizer specifically designed to pull weak signals out of HF radio. The EQ and powered speaker are sold as a kit (for now) and are also sold separately, so you can use the PRAS equalizer with another speaker you might already have. Watch the demo video for what comes in the box, and how I tune in a weak signal. The audio quality came through the video feed better than I suspected it would.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2019
    YY8HBO, K0UO and VE7PBF like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Great product.

Excellent review.

I have two for diversity reception. Use on IC 7800 and TS-990S (one at a time); (answering question on: 'what radio are you using?)

I have sporadic tinnitus and its definitely worth it; works great on CW also.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    AK5B, N0CN and K0UO like this.
  3. W5EKG

W5EKG Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m running it with a 7610 and recently trying it plugged in with my 9700 doing weak signal 2m SSB and 23cm SSB. Sound quality is good, helps dig out weak signals, decrease band noise/static, and help adjust people who’s audio is too high pitch for my liking. I use it in conjunction with a DXE NCC-2 for local QRM in an urban environment. It’s made working DX on a city lot much more pleasant.

Now to the only con, which is a has become quite an annoyance to me lately.. Heil placed the power switch on the rear of the unit and the speaker is independently powered (switch to the rear also). Essentially you have to leave the main unit out in the open and easily accessible to be able to access the rear of it to turn it on and off. I’m currently rack mounting all of my gear and I can’t do it with this because I can’t access the rear of the unit and I don’t leave anything on all the time. A switch, or push button to the front of the unit and signaling (Remote) wire to the speaker to turn on and off with the main console would make this perfect. That’s the only thing I would change!

Daniel
    W5EKG

AK5B and VE7PBF like this.
  4. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Jason - not your best work, OM. It would have been much better had you learned how it works, and recorded a few A/B demonstrations showing how it sounds ON and OFF respectively. And, I sorta suspect what you call front panel microphone jacks are really for headphones.,but I do not have one here to verify it. This video does not make me want one and does not demonstrate an ability to pull weak signals out of the noise. .

When your ball hits a wire hanging over the street you ... DO OVER! And, if you do, it would be a big help if you at compared it against (or at least mentioned) the $230 MFJ-616 Speech Intelligibility Enhancer and other products that essentially serve the same function. A brief explanation of the differences between parametric and graphic equalizers would aslo help, as would an explanation of the different controls and what they do and why we want to use them would round out the presentation.

Just saying. I think you sorta rushed through this one. K8JHR

K7CB and N3ABJ like this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I know a lot of people have had feedback problems but to me it's one of the best additions I've made to my amateur radio shack in the number of years.
    I can actually hear stuff and I always use high-end transceivers but I still can't hear as good as I would like.
    This unit has really made amateur radio fun again.
    I have tried other audio mixers and speaker Combos and nothing even comes close to this simple setup that Bob has produced.

AK5B likes this.
  6. K7CB

K7CB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can see your point. I think that information would have been useful. Still...it looks like there's a lot of money to be made by having a YouTube channel and doing reviews if all the radio equipment is an indication. ;) I should start one.

K0UO likes this.
  7. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have a need for such a thingy so doubt if I'd ever consider one. If it's a benefit to you then knock yourself out with it. There are other ways...

8. XV9G

XV9G Guest

Jason, you should do your homework use the correct terms and read the manual before making a video. This video is a joke!

K0UO likes this.