ad: portazero-1

Northern Ireland WAB Committee Member helps rescue injured motorcyclist in Wales

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jul 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Northern Ireland WAB Committee Member helps rescue injured motorcyclist in Wales

On 30th June, WAB Committee Member, Esther Harper, GI0AZA was engaged in a Worked All Britain activation of a rare square in Northern Ireland on 40m, when she picked up a 'Mayday' call from Richard Haynes, MW6RBH/M. He had come across an injured motorcyclist in an area of North Wales where there was no mobile phone signal.

Esther called 999 and asked for air ambulance Wales - which she says is a bit odd for their 999 in NI! They put her through and she gave them the grid reference. The operator said she had never had this before. Esther had to go back and get nearest town details from Richard and when the air ambulance control heard her talking to him, they realised that this was genuine. The air ambulance was dispatched, and the motorcyclist lifted out.

This truly was in the spirit of the WAB motto “To assist others”.

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/july/wab-committee-member-receives-mayday-call.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GW4MOZ, MI7ATM, MM7WAB and 9 others like this.
  2. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations to radio operators Esther Harper GI0AZA and Richard Haynes MW6RBH for bringing in the helicopter rescue!

HF ham operators and NVIS work :)

K7HSW, WU8Y and MI0GTA like this.
  3. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone remember when, in the USA, amateur radio was the amateur radio service?

We desperately need to get back to this mindset. As a once EC/AEC in one of Florida's most populated regions, no question that voluntarism is....ah....."diminishing" rapidly.

Great job Esther & Richard!

K7HSW likes this.
  4. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Work!

What is the 'WAB Committee'?

5. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

But remember, hams only ever interfere with emergency response and get in the way, and no emergency professional wants anything to do with hams. /TehZed

6. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

"was engaged in a Worked All Britain activation"

K7HSW likes this.
  7. WA4GEH

WA4GEH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ye
    Yes I remember...a different time...a different world...a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away. The sad thing is that I don't think the recent generations understand the concept of service.

8. KI4KGK

KI4KGK Ham Member QRZ Page

Way to go, ham.... I mean amateur radio does it again!

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

All the FCC allocations are called "Services". FRS - Family Radio Service. GMRS - General Mobile Radio Service. MURS - Multi-Use Radio Service. And the Amateur Radio Service. This has NOTHING to do with volunteering or serving.

Because the word "service" exists in the FCC's naming is no different then your local utility providing electrical "service" at your "service" panel. It's a noun, not a verb.

It's great that people DO serve, but it's not part of the FCC's mandate.

10. 2I0WMN

2I0WMN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well done Ester and Richard ,William de 2I0WMN

MI7ATM and MM7WAB like this.
  11. M0PTO

M0PTO Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked All Britain - it's an award scheme over here :)