ad: ProAudio-1

EQUINOX Blends Science Fiction And Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4ECW, May 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N4ECW

N4ECW Ham Member QRZ Page

10 May 2019 (Tampa, Florida)

A new science fiction narrative, EQUINOX, has taken amateur and shortwave radio into the cultural mainstream in its version of a limited alien invasion story line.

“It’s been quite a while since the world depended on amateur and shortwave radio as lifelines. In EQUINOX, both are critical for the success of The Resistance.” – DM Barrett, EQUINOX author

DM Barrett, callsign N4ECW, lives and breathes amateur radio. He is well known in the ham radio community having developed and manufactured several different specialized radio antennas through his former company, Transworld Antennas. He holds two earned doctorates with majors in law, economics, and religion.

The EQUINOX story line begins on a warm, slightly breezy day on Florida’s east coast as the vernal equinox marked the beginning of spring. Suddenly, there was a thunderous crash, a blinding light, and a vortex swirling in the blue Atlantic. The invading alien army arrived. The world surrendered. The Resistance made a stand.

When the science fiction novel was recently released as a Kindle Unlimited eBook, it moved steadily into Amazon’s top ten science fiction eBooks in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Canada, and Australia. After only a few days, the paperback version of EQUINOX was ranked in Amazon’s top third for science fiction paperbacks.

DM Barrett may be contacted at DMBarrettPHD@aol.com or by text to 931-239-3760

EQUINOX and other books by DM Barrett can be ordered online through Kindle, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble.

Equinox_jpg (2).png

If you are a radio amateur or shortwave enthusiast, or you are just interested in the topics, don’t miss the chance to join others that are enjoying the science fiction novel, EQUINOX.

NZ5F, VA2PV, MI0GTA and 4 others like this.
  2. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like my kind of novel. I'll read it.
    John
    K4AGO

N4ECW and KE0OAP like this.
  3. N1DH

N1DH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OK DM! Had it on my Kindle within 30 seconds of reading this! I'll let you know what I think...

KE0OAP and N4ECW like this.
  4. KX2L

KX2L Ham Member QRZ Page

N4ECW and KE0OAP like this.
  5. KX2L

KX2L Ham Member QRZ Page

N4ECW likes this.
  6. KX2L

KX2L Ham Member QRZ Page

Like reading Science Fiction and of course Amateur radio one of my favorite hobbies. Downloading Equinox on my kindle. Repost after reading it.

N4ECW likes this.
  7. KX2L

KX2L Ham Member QRZ Page

N4ECW likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No flies on Dennis:)!

N4ECW and WR2E like this.
  9. NE4EB

NE4EB Ham Member QRZ Page

"Let's get on 40 meter CW and see what the spark gap ham operators are saying?"

Spark gap? Really?

WB5PDZ and N4ECW like this.
  10. N4ECW

Good catch! You get the reader award.

Spark gap is not CW. Better to have referenced the lower portion of 40m. Actually, real spark gap transmitters have been outlawed for almost 100 years.

In many places, older hams like me that do a lot of CW are sometimes jokingly referred to as spark gappers,

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    PY2NEA, WA6YPE, N4GST and 1 other person like this.
  11. KL4VG

KL4VG Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m about halfway through this book and can’t tourture myself any further. This book has a decent plot, however no sub plot, and very predictable. Whomever edited this book should repeat the second grade. There are errors on every page, mostly spacingerrors wh ich are distract ing (Did you see what I did there?)
    This book is suitable for young minds, much like the ARRL Cynthia Walls or Walker Tompkins book series.
    Thank God this book was free, even so, I would not recommend it to a friend.
    Sorry folks.
    Daniel KL4VG

12. KD2GIY

KD2GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

any ft8 in the book?

13. N4ECW

Only CW and phone

14. N4ECW

15. N4ECW

The eBook shifts from reader to reader. On some devices, th e spacing does loo k like this un fortunately. I can assure you that the print version is flawless.

I think your assessment of "a decent plot, however no sub plot" is accurate. It was written for each chapter to be cannibalized for a TV episode and possibly the first five chapters as a TV movie / mini-series. At this writing, five production companies have indicated a serious interest in the story line. It's NOT a Tom Clancy novel for sure. LOL But, it has done quite well with about 2500 eBook and paperbacks sold in the first month -- not counting kindle unlimited royalties.

Sorry the plot was too linear for. However, you might take a look at my period fiction (1929-1942) eBook or paperback, RAVEN.

Dennis

KL4VG likes this.