ad: elecraft

ARRL CEO Howard Michel (WB2ITX)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Mar 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

ICQ Podcast Episode 290

In this episode, Martin M1MRB is joined by Leslie Butterfield G0CIB, Edmund Spicer M0MNG and Ed Durrant DD5LP to discuss the latest Amateur / Ham Radio news. Colin M6BOY rounds up the news in brief and this episode’s feature is an interview with Howard Michel, WB2ITX, CEO of the ARRL, discusses his vision for the organisation.

ICQ AMATEUR/HAM RADIO PODCAST DONORS

We would like to thank Andy Cowley and our monthly and annual subscription donors for keeping the podcast advert free. To donate, please visit - http://www.icqpodcast.com/donate

News stories include:-
    • FCC Invites Comments on ARRL Technician Enhancement Proposal
    • New 47 GHz and 122 GHz Records Set
    • Modified Digital QST App Now Available for Apple iOS Users
    • Ham Radio Geostationary Satellite Transponders
    • AMSAT’s 50th Anniversary
    • Czech Amateur Radio Team to Activate Jersey
    • Greece Makes 60m Available to Amateur Radio
    ICQPodcast Event: Work ARRL CEO Howard Michel - https://www.icqpodcast.com/news/2019/3/18/icqpodcast-event-work-arrl-ceo-howard-michel

The ICQ Podcast can be downloaded from http://www.icqpodcast.com

upload_2019-3-31_19-23-39.png

AC7DD likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome!

Everyone should try to say hello to Howard OTA:)!

Chip W1YW

WQ4G, K4FMH and W0PV like this.
  3. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Put that CEO to work!

K0UO likes this.
  4. K0MD

K0MD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The podcast also has a discussion of the proposed extended technician class privileges. Kinda funny to listen to non-US hams intimately discussing our licensing classes and offering such strong opinions.

W1YW likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Job number one is to get the largest pool of licensees in the world--the US Technicians-- radio active. Making it easier for them to get on HF (i.e. phone, for example) serves all the mission points of Part 97.

Ham radio should never be on the shelf, only, with the emergency candles ramen noodles, and beef jerky. Techs have earned their privileges, and modestly increasing them should be even more incentive to use them:)

K5VU, KV6O, K7JQA and 3 others like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Ham licenses could just be given out at Safeway like Gas Award Points and Monopoly Rewards... SOLVED!!

Dave
    W7UUU

NL7W, K8VHL, W0TRS and 4 others like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Its not about 'giving out licenses'-- we have roughly 1/2 million Techs.

Its about showing them what they can do with the 'magic box'. And watching them get self-motivated with the possibilities.

;-)

NL7W, KV6O, N0TZU and 5 others like this.
  8. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CHIP! THANK YOU for our first contact during this past weekend's contest! Have a great week & 73!

Greg

W1YW likes this.
  9. KD4LT

KD4LT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can see you are bought into the ARRL and well give away the standards just for what the ARRL says! Maybe just make up you your own call letters and be good with it .

W0TRS, K4DXG and ND6M like this.
  10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, perhaps thats better than the old, worn out, "Wacker/save Amateur radio" mantras.

That should last for about 5 years and then the next"crisis" will be invented.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think many of us have to catch up with the times.

As you recall, there was a tremendous sentiment and effort last year to reverse several key stances taken by the ARRL.

The outcome of all that was a dramatic change in the board, and a new CEO. To say the 'new' ARRL is different in its approach is an understatement. We've already seen reversals with the 'reinstatement' of K3RF, and the nixing of the present flawed ARPA. There's likely more ahead!

I think the ARRL has a team that is willing and able to address the big issues of ham radio in the US, and how to get more US hams to see the value in ARRL membership.

A vast majority of Techs almost never get on the air (OTA) after they get their ticket. That does not make for a healthy, mission-positive Part 97 pool.The ARRL is keenly aware that getting more Techs OTA is a huge issue to solve, and is taking very constructive measures to help.

Having Howard op'ing W1AW says he is not only ACCESSIBLE, it also says that GETTING ON THE AIR is what ham radio is all about.

I strongly support the ARRL.

Your opinion may differ, and that's OK.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    NL7W, K4FMH, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  12. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Following the trendy example of the AWRL, I am changing the name from President of my local ARC to CEO.

ND6M likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL has a PRESIDENT and a CEO. They are two different people. Their jobs are different. I believe the President is not a paid position, or the compensation is minimal. The CEO is a full-time employee.

N2AMM, W0PV and WU8Y like this.
  14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

No need to invent a crisis, its already apparent. Look at the slope of lines on the graph below.

I believe its obvious the vast majority of hams actually on-the-air today, especially HF, are from the Boomer generation. As they go QRT / SK, who will back fill the ranks to keep the spectrum allocated to amateurs active? Use it or lose it.

[​IMG]

NL7W, N2AMM and WU8Y like this.
  15. KD4LT

KD4LT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think Howard from ARRL needs a new hobby like politics for the left ?