ad: Schulman-1

Icom IC-9700 - First Impression

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Jan 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

ICQ Podcast Episode 285

In this episode, Martin M1MRB is joined by Chris Howard M0TCH, Martin Rothwell M0SGL, Dan Romanchik KB6NU, Ed Durrant DD5LP and Frank Howell K4FMH to discuss the latest Amateur / Ham Radio news. Colin M6BOY rounds up the news in brief and this episode’s feature is our first impression of the ICOM IC-9700.

ICQ AMATEUR/HAM RADIO PODCAST DONORS

We would like to thank Charles Benet (AI6TT) along with our monthly and annual subscription donors for keeping the podcast advert free. To donate, please visit - http://www.icqpodcast.com/donate

News stories include:-
    • Record Year for Online Amateur Radio Training Course
    • D-STAR ONE Launched, Telemetry Received
    • VHF/UHF Workshop Aims To Boost Activity Above 30 MHz
    • New Amateur / Ham Radio General Class Question Pool Released
    • Amateur Radio eBooks Available for Download
    • Court Ruling - Excessive Antenna Application Fees Violated Reasonable Accommodation
    • Amateur Radio Exam Success in Holland
    • French Amateur Radio "Tax" Removed
    • New Amateur Radio Technical Requirements in Bulgaria
    The ICQPODCAST can be downloaded from http://www.icqpodcast.com

upload_2019-1-20_18-27-18.png

BH1VCS and KA8UGB like this.
  2. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Good grief... I had to skip ahead to 1:24:00 to get to the IC-9700 talk. :eek:

W9ANW, AB8XL, W8JMI and 12 others like this.
  3. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Praise to NL7W for his tip on skipping to time code 1:24:00 to hear the IC-9700 portion of this long-winded podcast!!

Based on the British pound conversion - preliminary price would be around $2300 USD.

N2NH, NL7W, W8JMI and 3 others like this.
  4. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well that's interesting - based on his QRZ page, NL7W is moving from Alaska to Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
    Nothing like relocating "south" to a better climate - it was about ZERO degrees F here last night!
    I look forward to an eyeball QSO in the near future.

KC4OFF and NL7W like this.
  5. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Steve, I made it 5 minutes and gave up. I will move to 1:24:00.

It was an interesting review.

Mark N5RFX

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  6. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Not a better climate! I love Alaska! Really! And, I might go back to retire. :)

A great position managing Milwaukee's public safety radio system brought me south.
    I wish that I was still up there. But alas, after 25 years I had worked for all those orgs I cared to up yonder. :eek::cool:

7. WB2YMU

WB2YMU Ham Member QRZ Page

Wouldn't a dual-band transverter with the 7300 work as well...just curious...???

N5GIT, WM9K, W2YM and 2 others like this.
  8. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it would, and in some cases with better performance. However this is a new radio, and if one can avoid extra boxes and cables, that would be preferable.

WB2YMU likes this.
  9. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Not wanting to play the video tonight, sound card is running a radio so I have a question.
    Does it mention if the radio is Full-Duplex so you can hear yourself on a Satellite QSO?
    I see a shared antenna connector for 2/440m and so you would need to use a multiplexer at the antennas for Sat work it would seem?
    Art

10. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is all answered in both the current manual and specifications published on Icom's own website. It has three antenna connectors and is full-duplex.

NZ5F, NL7W, WD9EWK and 1 other person like this.
  11. 9A0S

9A0S XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm buying a beer. You saved me one and a half hours of life.
    Not nice of podcasters to put up such clickbaits.

K3RW, WB5THT, K0BAK and 2 others like this.
  12. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

price wise.. it looks like they have NOT made the same mistake with the icom 7900 like they did with the icom 7300
    this is a very expensive radio for vhf/uhf.. can,t see them selling to many here as those frequencies are dead here anyway..

13. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Based on what W5pFG pointed me to, it seems like features for a Satellite radio.

WD9EWK likes this.
  14. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

For FM birds, I surely hope not! ;)

15. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

What I am trying to say is that this radio appears to be a radio for weak signal enthusiasts.
    And if FM birds are all a person is interested in working, there are cheaper options out there. :)