ad: ProAudio-1

Emergency Grid Down Comms: Winter Field Day

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Jan 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video and presentation, STN! Well done.

N8NOE likes this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Quotes from video that stood out for me:

"...getting comfortable with the misery..."

"...train(ing) as you fight..."

Have never operated WFD, nor had I planned on operating WFD 2019. This video, besides getting me longing for my annual tent camping every September, had me toying with the idea of carting some gear out to the SUV and take off for some cold weather FD ops - even if it's from the confines of the SUV with a temporary, makeshift antenna.

Currently it's 3°F / -16°C - so we'll see how this grand plan develops. heh.

Thanks, STN! And 73.

4. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool !
    I mean really Cool Temps. :cool:

Only place to come near those temps here is up on Mauna Kea
    on the Big Island of Hawaii at 13,803 ft in Winter :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

5. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey all -- it's almost winter FD ! http://73SIARA.org Our club will be on air for WFD, setting up a ham station and some semi-permanent antennas at our local "maker's studio/laboratory" -- it's a great way to bridge into the maker community (many are hams or show interest)... the location is not exactly "outdoors off the grid" but it's a good excuse to try some experimenting with battery/solar power, and also the maker lab needs some help installing some ham antennas -- they have a reserved space for a small HF/VHF/UHF ham station and some equipment, but have lacked antennas for a long time. Several hams will be there to set up / test the new system - along with bringing a big pot of Chili for those who want to come by for some socialization. Should be fun.

ALL welcome!

6. KC5SAS

KC5SAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Several months ago I brought up the idea of our club, the Ascension Amateur Radio Club, k5arc.org , participating in Winter Field Day 2019. My original plan, as President of the club, was to set up at our station in our EOC and operate from there in the relative comfort of the office environment. But after much discussion our members agreed that it would be better to focus on dragging our old EmCom trailer out of storage and using it. The trailer has been sitting up with almost no use since the floods in 2016 hit our region. We have had a couple of work days to do some repairs and check some of the equipment but Winter Field Day is a great time to do a more prolonged "shake down" of the trailer as well as to give more of our newer members a chance to get familiar. We are going out on Saturday morning, pull the trailer out and set everything up and may do some informal operating during the afternoon. By sundown we will put it all away and back in its storage area. We won't be out overnight.
    Sunday morning several of us plan to drive out to neighboring Livingston Parish to see the ham club there and their Emcom trailer which they plan on having out at the Parish courthouse. Livingston and Ascension Parishes have great working relations and we are looking forward to seeing their new trailer.
    To learn more about AARC/K5ARC please visit our web site at http://k5arc.org/main/ and listen for us on the air Saturday afternoon.

US7IGN, W1YW, KG5ZLE and 1 other person like this.
  7. KG5ZLE

KG5ZLE Ham Member QRZ Page

See you on Sunday!

8. AH6BI

AH6BI Ham Member QRZ Page

"...Shorts and flipflops..."
    We make do in Hawaii.

KX4O likes this.
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone makes their own sacrifices.... ;)

10. W5WI

W5WI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video! I'll share it with our local club and other clubs in the Section!

11. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I had little time this weekend, but I was able to throw up a dipole and made a few contacts using CW. It was cool weather but not what you would call cold here in Spokane, it was around 34 degs most of the day. Thank you for the Fantastic Video you put together. 73,

12. AL6G

AL6G Ham Member QRZ Page

very good video, a very common sense approach. thank you.

13. K7NSW

K7NSW Ham Member QRZ Page

K7NSW Tucson, Arizona here. Am regular portable operator running my hf gear from my camp trailer in a remote area one week every month. Eight months are south of Tucson at 5,000 feet in the Sonora Desert. During the four very hot months I operate from a state park in northern Arizona at 8,000 feet where temps are mild. Run 100 watts to G5RV up 35 feet. Gas generator powers me. This year (2019) my club operated WFD at 8,000 feet in the snow from a comfortable heated cabin on commercial mains. Boy Scouts Troop 157 in Catalina Council BSA fed us. We were few in number but great in spirit. We are consideringmaking WFD an annual club sponsored and organized event. We are The Radio Society of Tucson, Arizona. Congratulations to OH8STN for providing us a good example and encouragement to get out of our comfort zone and do it in the rough. Although, it is hard to claim a warm cabin on electric mains is opersting in the rough! But we did have to walk through the cold weather to our heated bathrooms and hot water showers. That is a start, isn't it?

14. K5VZD

K5VZD Ham Member QRZ Page

just came across your excellent video.. I operated the WFD this year using my good ole K2/solar panel power, and a long wire.
    Admittedly here in East Texas it wasn't much like your area, however the emergency practice is just as important.. We have our floods (last years good example here around Houston)..Decided on attempting to homebrew a mag loop antenna again after last "failure"!! Thanks for tuners and long wires (if all else fails)… Keep the videos coming.
    73 tom
    ar

15. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

When it's so cold the generator will not start to charge the batteries. That is when we knew it was dam cold. Usually on the East, West german border area.