ad: elecraft

Ham Talk Live! Episode 147 - Ham Radio Aboard the Queen Mary

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Jan 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thursday (1/3) evening at 9 pm EST on Ham Talk Live! Patrick Stoddard, WD9EWK, Endaf Buckley, N6UTC, and David Akins N6HHR will take your calls and questions about ham radio on the RMS Queen Mary (W6RO). Patrick and Endaf recently made a trip to the ship to do satellite operations, so they will report on that special event. David will fill us in on the history of the ship's radio room and the routine amateur radio operations from W6RO.

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm EST (Friday 0200Z) by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button!

If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand anytime also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 812-NET-HAM-1 live during the call-in segment of the show. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

AMSATonW6RO.jpg Dave_at_W6RO.jpg Endaf.jpg

CL7JKB, CX8ABF, KB7GL and 3 others like this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Way to show your politics with that tee shirt. Very professional.

LU9DMO, CL7JKB, DL6BCX and 2 others like this.
  3. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've made many satellite contacts with that operator. His politics never were a part of our QSO. While we may share different views, we mutually enjoy amateur radio and satellite operating.

KF7R, CL7JKB, K7LZR and 4 others like this.
  4. W4SKB

W4SKB Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously? Come on dude. T-Shirt or not, it's all about Ham Radio. I do not find the T-Shirt offensive even if it doesn't reflect my political views..

K7LZR likes this.
  5. WA4KBD

WA4KBD Ham Member QRZ Page

Science is a topographical and mathematical map of the way the universe works. One's personal belief system, including politics, is irrelevant. The shirt's statement is simple fact.

K7LZR likes this.
  6. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry I missed you Patrick would have liked to work you on the ship. I live 30 miles north of Long Beach ! By the way I sailed on Mary's sister ship the Q.E. 1 back in 1953 from England with my folks. I still have photo's of the trip ! P.S. I like the T shirt & I love SCIENCE !!! see you on the BIRDS 73 Phil KI6PMD..

WD9EWK likes this.
  7. KB7GL

KB7GL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I operated from W6RO on 12/7/2018...lousy band condx but was fortunate to work W5RRR at the Houston Space Center....they were running a list, but paused for a nice chat, since the Op had never worked the Queen. Picture from the Queen posted on my 'Zed page. I've also had the good fortune to work both stations from my home QTH.

WD9EWK and K6IJ like this.
  8. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Would have been nice to work you, too. It was a fun day working a bunch of satellites on the ship.

There may be other chances to hear W6RO on the satellites, after the successful activity last month. With 2019 being the 40th anniversary of the W6RO station on the Queen Mary, satellite activities might be part of the on-air fun this year. Stay tuned...

73!

9. K4TTZ

K4TTZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Another waste of electrons

UB3ARM and KD9LTQ like this.
  10. K5CQA

K5CQA Ham Member QRZ Page

Fascinating. I have been aboard, but as yet unable to operate from the ship; nor have I been able to log a QSO with The QE. But perhaps one day. What a rich history it has.

WD9EWK likes this.
  11. KI7SNW

KI7SNW Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur radio by its very nature is not "professional". It's just a tee shirt, don't be so sensitive.

K7LZR and WD9EWK like this.
  12. KD9LTQ

KD9LTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Obnoxious.

13. HL5ZEE

HL5ZEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting. I used to be a purser for Cunard way back in 1989. Visited the radio room a few times but no ham ops in those days.

Attached Files:

14. UB3ARM

UB3ARM Ham Member QRZ Page

Could you please, a couple words about your VHF/UHF portable station and antenna which in your hand
    Have a good trip!

15. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

liberals who cant accept the fact are the real problem