ad: Radclub22-1

Digital Mode JS8 real time translation in foreign language!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Dec 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

By now, unless one has been living under a rock, most Hams know of the highly disruptive new digital mode called JS8, which is FT8 with a QSO, supporting 13 to 20wpm. Key board to KeyBoard / SAME SPECS, The ability to decode -24db below the noise floor, occupying only 50hz, and the difference from FT8, JS8 can support 13 to 20wpm

Now for the other feature!

Now we can type in the DX country's language.

How is this done?

Before calling CQ DX, open Google and type in the search box Translate English to french

Call CQ DX . Like normal

DX Station responds, lets say DN8NO

Go back to Google Translate change to English to German Language

Type in the text box the normal, Name here is Tom, Location is Allen Texas,

Copy and paste the Google translation in German language

I did this with several QSO's this morning and one with DJ8NO, (Peter) in Germany. He thought i spoke perfect German, (I do speak it) but nothing like Google translator

They say, when speaking (In this case messaging) in their language, you speak to their heart.

And for those who desire to have a QSO, this really does the trick.

The actual inherent delay (15 Sec) cycle between TX and RX, gives plenty a time to translate!

Just another value add to the digital modes, especially JS8...

C U on the bands
    NN2X
    TOM

N2NUR, KK4VRE, N9PBD and 1 other person like this.
  2. W0FW

W0FW Ham Member QRZ Page

I know your intentions are good, Tom....but "highly disruptive"??

Seriously?

Seems to me that a different choice of words would have been much more effective at describing JS8.....perhaps ....."the 2nd most popular digital mode called JS8".

Also wouldn't call copy and pasting from Google Translate a "feature" as it can be done in all KB2KB digital modes. You make it sound as though it were some revolutionary, groundbreaking and earth shattering new feature of JS8Call....which it is NOT.

I know you are just wanting to promote JS8....and that is honorable but some care should be exercised in crafting your posts as to not cause confusion by providing misleading information.

AB7E, KB2HSH, FK1TS and 2 others like this.
  3. NN2X

W0FW

OK, let me define

innovative or groundbreaking.

Let me elaborate

Having the ability to decode at -24db below the noise floor, and having a QSO at 13 to 20wpm... Yep that will do it...Ground breaking, Nothing else can do that including CW. So yes, ground breaking!

Although JS8 is not officially released, but check out the stats .The program JS8 is either 2nd or 3rd place in popularity
    If i check the stats during the day it is usually 2nd place.

Mode Count
    FT8 1091929
    JT9 1521
    JS8 1319
    CW 1149
    JT65 372
    PSK31 91
    OPERA 41
    MSK144 23
    JT65B 9
    ROS 4
    OLIVIA-8 3
    PI4 3
    MFSK16 3
    OLIVIA 3
    WSPR 2
    FSK441 1
    OLIVIA-4 1

4. K1PJA

K1PJA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, I've been using google translate with psk31 for a while now. Maybe not 'groundbreaking', but it's a fun way to get a qso going.. The main limitation seems to be that the foreign language needs to use our (latin) alphabet.

WU8Y and NC0L like this.
  5. NN2X

Using JS8, is ground breaking, as it able to decode at -24dB below the noise floor, while having a QSO, That is great! (FT8 has the same specifications, but can't have a QSO

No other digital mode including CW can perform this technical feat, and yes the translation is cool combination

Cheers

NN2X, Tom

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Tom - why not just let the ham community make the decision if they want this mode or not?

I don't recall Joe Taylor or Steve Franke endlessly plugging their new modes and calling them "Highly disruptive"

Your endless cheerleading just gets really old. I'm sorry but it's true.

When the JS8CALL developers finally decide to actually RELEASE this "highly disruptive" mode, if the desire is there folks will join in.

Dave
    W7UUU

AB7E, K0WJ, WU8Y and 8 others like this.
  7. K0UA

K0UA Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen. You have beat this horse to near death. Your constant cheerleading is making people NOT want to try JS8. Please give it a rest. And what is holding up the release of JS8? Enough beta already.

AB7E and NN4RH like this.
  8. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OH boy... Google translate. What could go wrong?? I'll pass.

AB7E and W5CJA like this.
  9. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "I know your intentions are good, Tom....but "highly disruptive"??
    . . . . Seriously?
    "

Not quite in the same vein/applicable as what Tom Watson said about computers, but, here is his quote anyway:

Thomas J. Watson Jr. of I.B.M. is said to have opined in 1943 that, “I think there is a world market for about five computers.”

If the Google xlate could be seamlessly integrated to the app, would this mark a first in this kind of over-the-air app?

10. HK4KM

HK4KM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just take into account that many translations via Google Translate will be like:

Me Tarzan, you Jane.

Possibly enough to get by on but could lead to mixups.

Specially English to Spanish and vice-versa or non-romance language to a romance one.

11. W9AC

W9AC Subscriber QRZ Page

Tom,

Ignore the noise -- as in the noise in this forum. It's interesting to note how those who pontificate about FT8/JS8 in these discussions (and eHam) are seemingly perturbed by your so-called "cheerleading." Where's the harm in posting your updates and voicing your opinion? From what I see, these same folks have contributed nothing to the hobby except to take, opine, and complain at every opportunity.

Cheer away.

Paul, W9AC

K3SZ likes this.
  12. M0KLG

M0KLG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now what would be groundbreaking, would be to type your message in your own language, and have it translated to the language of the DX entity you are sending to.
    Wouldn't have thought it will take some genius too long

K4AGO likes this.
  13. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Along the lines of " If you need to tell folks how great you are you're probably not that great". People can figure it out they don't need to be constantly told.

WU8Y and KA2LIM like this.
  14. K4SUE

K4SUE Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a look at your figures - it's NOT 2nd place

15. NN2X

K4SUE, I said that it goes up to 2nd place during the day..and now third place, but really doe it matter, this is new, and taking off.

Cheers

NN2X, Tom