ad: Halibut-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 138 - Ducie Island DXpedition VP6D LIVE

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Oct 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The VP6D Ducie Island DXpedition is the topic this week on Ham Talk Live! Listen on Thursday at 9 pm EDT when Glenn Petri, KE4KY, the chief pilot of the DXpedition, will join us on the show to tell us all about it and take your calls. We also hope to have Gene Spinelli, K5GS, via satellite phone LIVE from Ducie Island to give a real time update on how things are going and take your questions!

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern time (Friday 0100Z) by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button!

If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand anytime also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 812-NET-HAM-1 live during the call-in segment of the show, or by Skype. Our username is hamtalklive. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

VP6D cartoonized outlined booby yellow text 250 pixels square copy.jpg ducie.jpg KE4KY.jpg

MM0XXW likes this.
  2. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Neil and thanks to the Team for a New one on 40 voice still plugging away on other bands and modes.

K9YM and WB9VPG like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazing CW ops....

N9DD, K9UR, WZ7U and 5 others like this.
  4. YV6BXN

YV6BXN Ham Member QRZ Page

Excelent Dxpedition amazing signal on all bands

5. WB2WFJ

WB2WFJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tough to get through the masses with an end fed half wave at 30' max but I'll keep trying.

MM0XXW likes this.
  6. KG5SFT

KG5SFT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Man pile ups from hell.

7. KG5SFT

KG5SFT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I spoke too soon. I just worked him on 20m

WB9VPG, ND0TS and KD9LTQ like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The T32C dxpedition from a few years back is a good guide for what we will see with VP6D: after 4 or 5 days, the pileups are whittled down because you can see (in this case) on the VP6D website if you are in the log.

No need for 'surance.

So after about a week, prop willing, it should be easy to make Q's with more modest set ups.

Watch dxsummit.fi for comments like :" easy", "not busy", "lonely". THAT's your invitation to work'em.

Good luck!

Chip W1YW

K9UR, KX4GG, WB9VPG and 5 others like this.
  9. W1JFK

W1JFK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the best DXpeditions yet. Great operators working the right bands at the right times, and keeping the pileups mostly under control.
    Having DXA is a great help also, so you can confirm that you're in the log and get on with life. Even when DXA jumps the tracks they have their own accurate on-line log that you can access.
    All in all, a well organized, equipped, and run DXpedition that others could learn from.

As an aside, and not related to VP6D, why mount a DXpedition to a rare entity and then work only 160 and 80M using verticals? With all due respect to 160M fans, how many of us looking for another
    ATNO see that as productive? If you're going to go to the trouble and expense of this kind of venture why not operate on the most popular HF bands running several popular modes? And yes, I realize
    it's their money (for the most part), but it still puzzles me.

Barry
    W1JFK

10. W9MB

W9MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked them on 40 meter FT8 tonight.

11. WB6I

WB6I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Textbook example of how a DXPedition should be operated

12. W6LDX

W6LDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked them with a Buddipole and 100 watts from a Yaesu FT-857D on 17 meters Tuesday. I think they have an amp as they were S9. No joy on 20 meters, but I could hear them. Just think how easy that 4000 mile contact from Arizona would be a the peak of a sunspot cycle.

WB9VPG likes this.
  13. KJ6CA

KJ6CA Ham Member QRZ Page

100watts 80cw hytower. Thanks Kj6ca

14. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure was nice to get the number 21# most wanted on 15 # meter C.W. yesterday ! it was a little tough he was sending @ 35 to 38 W.P.M. so had to listen very careful for my call ! but made it. Heard them last night on 80# C.W. but just to weak to work. By the way I am just a Tec. what a treat. 73 all & go get them. Phil KI6PMD..

K9UR and WZ7U like this.
  15. KA1LWR

KA1LWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I just listen now..I heard it on 18.086cw..a good 5x9 in Oakland Maine..de KA1LWR