ad: CQMM-1

Palstar LA-1K Review – 1 kW Solid-State HF amplifier (6 to 160M)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Sep 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here’s a full review of the Palstar LA-1K, it’s a 1 kW dual LDMOS solid-state HF linear. It covers from 6 to 160 meters. The LA-1K as RF sensing allowing automatic band switching without having to interface the radio. It has a very nice color display touch screen which includes a power meter and a live SWR meter. It supports up to 3 antennas. Despite a low IMD distortion of> -35dB it supports “pure signal” (low distortion) with a dedicated RCA port to connect your SDR. You can update the firmware via the front USB port.

73 Pascal VA2PV

Palstar_LA-1K_thumbs.jpg

NY4Q, KA3ZAI, VA2LM and 17 others like this.
  2. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice demo Pascal. I'm using Pure Signal now with my current equipment. It looks like they dialed back the output to have 2 devices only put out a little over 1K. This thing should never get stressed.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

VA2PV and N8QQE like this.
  3. AA9NN

AA9NN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

nice review, do you run CW? for SSB nice amp, but First CW , 1st character had a HIGH SWR spike? or is that issue fixed? and this is NOT a qsk linear. all and all great amp.

VA2PV likes this.
  4. PP8DA

PP8DA Ham Member QRZ Page

as always, a nice report, 73

VA2PV likes this.
  5. WD5FUN

WD5FUN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Pascal, looks like a great option when looking for SS 1kw amp. Great review.

VA2PV likes this.
  6. NJ1S

NJ1S Ham Member QRZ Page

These ldmos amps are nothing short of amazing. They will do a great deal more power then labeled!

VA2PV likes this.
  7. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

CONGRATS TO YOU PASCAL ON AN OUTSTANDING PRODUCT DEMO....
    ........................BRAVO.......................
    Hats_off[1].gif congratulations_fireworks_1_.gif marching_band_4_th_july[1].gif
    ========================= SMALL CFO 1008  SMILE 73 CANDID CAMERA HAVE A HAPPY DAY.jpg

KA3ZAI and VA2PV like this.
  8. VA2PV

I James, I'm not too much of a CW fan and I'm using it more for ragchewing and SSB DXing. I don't have the SWR spike issue you mention, but I'm running the latest firmware. No, this amps is not full QSK, probably it can be modified for it, I will have to ask my friend that is a "amp" expert in our area. Thanks for watching. 73 Pascal VA2PV

AA9NN likes this.
  9. VA2PV

Hi Rollin, This is true, if you look in my video with the maximum suggested drive I can get more than 1200 W on some bands but in SSB when over 1050 W the signal quality degrades (tested with a two tone). But this can be controlled with a SDR rig that as a low distortion feature (pure signal). 73 Pascal VA2PV

10. VA2PV

11. VA2PV

Hi James, Just did a test with my friend and the amp is "FULL QSK". It doesn't say in the manual specifically, but they mention that the RF Output is Vacuum relay T/R switching. So, we did the test in vox (semi break-in) at 30 wpm and the first "dit" is going out at full power 1 kW. So, this answers the question. But the PTT relay in the amp is noisy as you can hear it click. 73 Pascal VA2PV.

12. VA2PV

James, I got this information from Palstar. IMPORTANT...

The revised owner’s manual (which you can download) addresses this subject on page 11. The LA-1K was NOT designed for full break-in.
    This is because the amplifier must READ the transmit frequency every time the PTT line goes low & RF is applied, BEFORE it will key down.
    This requires a key-down time period long enough for accurate frequency readings.
    High speed full break in operation causes the auto band select to operate erratically resulting in the amp delaying key-down or possibly jumping bands.
    Slower speed full break-in operation is possible but not recommended.
    Semi break-in (VOX) is recommended for all high speed CW operation.

73 Pascal VA2PV

13. WA3MOJ

WA3MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am considering purchasing this amp. However, I am seeing a fair number of people selling their
    Palstar LA-1K amp after only a month or several months of use.
    Is this coincidence or is something with the operation not to the satisfaction of the owner.
    An amp of this caliber should satisfy 95% of the ham users (IMHO). Would it not?

Thoughts?

W3CUB likes this.
  14. VA2PV

Hi George, Personally I didn’t see yet any for sale on the used market? Maybe it’s related to the full QSK or when the wife learned how much he paid for the amp, she gave him an ultimatum, hihi. FYI, since yesterday the digital version of the November edition of the QST is available, there's is a complete review of the Palstar LA-1K. You should check it out. For my operation this amp perfect. 73 Pascal VA2PV

15. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you point to some of these? I just ordered one and all I've seen are rave reviews. I've seen none on the used market.