ad: QSLWorks-1

Hamvention 2018 Attendance Announced

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, Jun 29, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W8HJR

W8HJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Attendance at Dayton Hamvention® 2018 was 28,417, according to Ron Cramer, KD8ENJ, Hamvention general chairman, a slight decline from 2017, the first year at the new location, the Greene County Fairground and Expo Center.

He said, "We think people were waiting to hear about the upgrades we made and some did not happen until the very last moment. Many were worried about the mud and were waiting. Lodging was tougher this year with other events taking place in the area."

Preparation for Hamvention 2018 was fine tuned, Cramer said, after critique sessions with committee chairs and input from emails, letters and phone calls from attendees and vendors last year. "From feedback received already this year from guests and vendors, we believe we have been successful and are working hard to prepare for Hamvention 2019. We expect new additions to the show and finer tuning to make sure our guests keep coming back."

Some of the upgrades for 2018 included frame tents that were more stable in the wind and rain. Asphalt millings were used in the Flea Market area to create roads and eliminate mud and will be expanded next year. Changes in onsite parking eliminated some of the muddier areas. Further improvements are planned for 2019.

Other changes received many positive comments. The increase in the number and variety of foods vendors reduced waiting times. Increased seating and shade were well received and planned for another increase next year. The number of Forums was increased with the addition of a new Forum Room. A new Product Showcase was added to highlight new products for the Media and our guests.

Central State University, a local college, opened their dorms for the event, providing a good inexpensive place to stay with breakfast and dinner provided. There was a shortage of rooms this year with the grand opening of the Memphis Belle Exhibit at the Museum of the Air Force but the Greene County and Dayton Convention Visitors Bureaus kept tabs on rooms and helped direct those that called.

Greene County, Xenia Township and City of Xenia have stepped up and been great to work with all year long, Cramer said, " We appreciate their assistance and plan to keep this location as the new tradition. The Greene County Fair Board has been exceptional in making this our new home."

He thanked the 769 volunteers at this year’s Hamvention and said they were well trained and tried to make all of the guests welcome. "We thank all who attended this year’s show and hope to see you again next year. We already have plans for making next year even bigger and better."

NJ2IT, W4PG, AL7A and 1 other person like this.
  2. N8DAH

N8DAH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Only suggestion that I would even make this year is that they put better signage for entries to the flea market. Some of the older hams I was with we're not very pleased to find out the gate that we used last year closer to the road was no longer open to foot traffic until after he walked the distance.
    Other than that great improvement over last year.
    David
    N8DAH

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

They all missed a great time.

Come next year:)

WB8SCT likes this.
  4. KC0WTY

KC0WTY Ham Member QRZ Page

I had in good time ,tested and passed the extra .
    Only wish it wouldn’t rain.

AC9SF likes this.
  5. WA4JLQ

WA4JLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for mentioning the lodging challenge. Please advise as to how hams can better plan for 2019 Hamvention with respect to lodging.

6. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

Make your hotel reservations now. There are plenty of hotels in the area, but you must plan ahead. The same advise for airline reservations applies.

Mark NR5FX

K2HAT and WA8FOZ like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats!

8. W9DSN

W9DSN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2018 was my first year...but it wont be my last. Had a blast and looking forward to next year. To the 769 volunteers (that's an amazing number BTW), thank you. Excellent work by all.

WA8FOZ and W1YW like this.
  9. W8IXI

W8IXI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For hotel rooms, consider Springfield on I-70. About 20 miles to Xenia on US68. Or just drive part way and get the shuttle bus at Young's Jersey Dairy just north of Yellow Springs.

10. NZ1I

NZ1I QRZ Lifetime Member #344 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

As for lodging, I considered the Central University option by I could not find any information about cost of room or availability. Maybe they sold out quickly? Not sure but more info would be appreciated.

And Congrats on passing the Extra. You may have been at one of my testing sessions on Saturday.

73, Kevin NZ1I
    Exam Testing Volunteer

11. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think 2017 saw a bump because people were curious about the new venue. This year saw a decline because the newness wore off.

12. AC9SF

AC9SF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Job! Congrats. Feels good doesn't it?

Jim
    AC9SF

13. NJ2IT

NJ2IT Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not a true Hamvention without rain.

KD8DWO likes this.
  14. KC2PMM

KC2PMM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

or, decades ago, a good snowstorm!

15. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My grandson and I both enjoyed the traffic was really well routed this year nice, job thank you see you next year.