ad: M2Ant-1

Violetta, KM4ATT interviewed by Tim, K3LR at 2018 CTU in Dayton, OH

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, Jun 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K8KSU

K8KSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Tim Duffy, K3LR of DX Engineering interviews Violetta Latham, KM4ATT during Contest University in Dayton on May 17, 2018.

Violetta talks about her activities as an amateur radio operator. One of eight hams in her family, Violetta has fun making kits and being in an operator during contests. One of her goals she accomplished was to work 100 DX entities in one year (she did it in 11 months). She's having fun in this hobby. First licensed at age 9, now at 13 she holds an Amateur Extra Class ticket. She will be participating in the 2018 Youth DX Adventure program to PJ2T.

KB7THL, N1XGH, KB8AMZ and 10 others like this.
  2. K3SX

K3SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for introducing this new ham to us Tim. Best of Luck to Violetta in her very bright future.

3. N0CEL

N0CEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Way to go, Miss Violetta! Great story, QRZ.com and thank you for posting this. I have had the pleasure of talking to Miss Violetta on several occasions, through our association in the YACHT Group (Young Amateur Radio Communications Team). From MY view, Amateur Radio is alive and well. 73 Carl de NØCEL

4. W9JF

W9JF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW - Great video and thanks to KM4ATT for being such a good ambassador for amateur radio. The future is looking good. 73 de W9JF

KC9ARP likes this.
  5. KF7WAG

KF7WAG Ham Member QRZ Page

She Is Into It because all of Her family are also Into It, They must have a Antenna Farm like no other family has.

6. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

That is not a true and accurate statement. My daughter also enjoys amateur radio and we don't have an antenna farm. Thanks to satellites and portable HF operating, it has allowed @W4AQT to work the world.

You don't have to be rich to Elmer a young person and to get them on the air. @W4AQT is now a General class ham and will soon be an Extra. As she progresses through the classes, she is learning. That's what it is all about. Amateur radio is some of the best STEM educational material available to kids.

NL7W, KD8AQT, KD4AYU and 2 others like this.
  7. KF7WAG

You obviously did’nt read what She had wrote on Her profile page, She had said That Her whole family Is Into It, They might have more Than one station on The premises Which would make an Antenna Farm

8. KF7WAG

I had looked at w4aqt profile page, Cute.

9. KF7WAG

And another Thing with so much so Called anti-socialness Going on In This screwed up world of our’s we need more of The young one’s In Amateur Radio.

10. K5JEF

K5JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a very poised young lady there and only 13. Way to go Mom and Dad.

KD4AYU likes this.
  11. W8QAS

W8QAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Tim, this a great interview. If anyone has a good quality video of Violetta's Youth Forum presentation, please let me know. I would like to get a copy or capture it so that the family has a copy. 73, W8QAS

12. K5JEP

K5JEP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the pleasure of talking to her back in 2016...her family is Amish...very bright and intelligent little lady. Was a pleasure to speak with her on HF. Way to go Violetta!

13. N0AH

N0AH Ham Member QRZ Page

This is always fantastic to see more young people with the determination to learn about this hobby. There is a huge IRLP industry building- yet ask 10,000 college graduates how a radio works, and you'll get blank stares- We are going to loose jobs to this industry unless we get serious about allowing and accepting 21st century technologies into our hobby and promoting more VHF and above activities. I hope that the ARRL eventually reaches out to the millions of students involved in technical clubs such as the Technology Student Association, BEST and FIRST Robotics, where there are so many growth opportunities and reasons for these students to get licensed. Students in these clubs, that number on the tens of thousands, just don't know about all the things we can offer because we keep catering to the HF crowd. I am sorry to say this, but it is true. HF is so important because it easily shows the relationship to antennas and frequencies, etc....but everything in the future really is what this young YL is doing with satellites, etc....Violetta, I hope you find a place as a spokesperson for this great hobby of our's! And to Tim, you have always been an ardent supporter of youth in the hobby. And I agree, Mom and Dad, you are doing a great job- Perhaps a visit to to the VLA in New Mexico would be a fun adventure seeing what happens at an average of 400Ghz! They need college interns to work there.......talk about another growing industry- New Mexico Technical University is located in Socorro, NM, and Skyler, KD0WHB is working at the VLA as an intern now- he has a pretty cool youtube page full of what he has done in VHF/UHF frequencies at Skyler F. Sorry for the long winded reply but so glad to see this YL and Tim- and hear of KM4ATT's accomplishments- best 73 Paul N0AH

14. KM4NOW

KM4NOW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Especially if she did DX100 in 11 months. Lucky girl to grow up in a place where she can learn and do so much.

KF7WAG likes this.
  15. KD9HGO

KD9HGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good interview. Three cheers for homeschoolers! :)
    KM4ATT, 73 de KD9HGO, yym #170!