ad: elecraft

TX Factor Episode 21

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0PSX, May 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M0PSX

M0PSX Ham Member QRZ Page

The latest episode of TX Factor, the TV show dedicated entirely to amateur radio, is now available.

In Episode 21, the team takes a look at programming DMR handsets and running a SharkRF openSPOT digital radio IP gateway. There's also a review of the new Icom IC-7610 transceiver, and Mike visits Bob’s shack in Cornwall to learn more about operating through linear satellites.

You can watch the latest show here: Watch TX Factor Episode 21

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2018
  2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

? can the dmr stuff be programmed by my fat fingers on the dtmf mic?

Or does it need to be interfaced to a computer, ala Commercial Radio style, versus Ham radio with a VFO.

My Yaesu FT-2900 FT-1802, 2m radio I can program Memories with the microphone and change the vfo and tone etc on the fly, so when I am in a new location I can use the local repeaters if needed. :)

3. M0PSX

M0PSX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Lee,

As you'll see from the video, setup is more complicated for DMR than for a 2m repeater, what with the zones and talkgroups. This is where the codeplug comes in, as the work is done for you - import an existing codeplug and you can store hundreds of repeaters, and set up custom codeplugs for any journey you're planning to make. As channels and repeaters are added/changed, you just update the codeplug.

There may be some rigs that allow direct programming,m but pretty much everyone programs via a computer.

Pete

K2HAT likes this.
  4. KC7DRI

KC7DRI Ham Member QRZ Page

I noticed the Youtube video was replaced after I watched it. Did I miss out on anything?

5. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

Lee,
    its like the commercial radios
    you program the codeplug
    the codeplug gives the radio its operating parameters if you will
    checkout my dmr forum
    info is in my qrz prfile

6. K2HAT

Okay, thanks!!

AA1PR likes this.
  7. N1UXA

N1UXA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, something happened to that video. He starts out talking about DMR but then the rest of the video is about satellite stuff...…...and the Icom 7610

8. W5JCK

W5JCK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes you could, but I suspect it would be so involved that you would screw something up. You really would be better off using programming software. Ham repeaters are fairly simple to program using the buttons on the radio. But programming DMR repeaters is more like programming a trunking system into a police scanner--yes you could do it, but no it won't be easy nor fast. DMR is rather complicated for most hams who are used to simple repeaters and simplex. If you travel a lot, you could pre-program the DMR repeaters into your codeplug. Alternatively, you could pre-program multiple codeplugs and load the one you need for a specific location.

K2HAT likes this.
  9. K2HAT

Okay, sound like, versus simple Amateur radio 2m FM repeaters; Yes it seems that Pre Programming makes perfect sense!

Maybe the best thing to do, and it would be worth taking a laptop on any road trips, and program any unexpected side trip!!! :)

Thanks to all who took the time to explain some of the nuances of DMR Stuff.
    I am not going to buy one today, but tomorrow?? LOL I might tomorrow or next week. ;)

10. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Please keep your DMR hot spots out of the SATELLITE band !!! 435.000 --438.000 mhz. Thank You Phil KI6PMD 73'..

K6LPM likes this.
  11. KM4GNR

KM4GNR Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a SharkRF on back order for a month with GigaParts, they told me on Friday that SharkRF has discontinued them. Ordered a DVMEGA instead.

12. N1UXA

N1UXA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just bought one used, (SharkRF). Its great!
    Anybody else not see or hear anything related to DMR in that video?

13. G0FGX

G0FGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi there, The DMR section is around the middle of the show, after the first part of the Satellite feature, at 17:40 in
    Best 73,
    Bob

14. G0FGX

G0FGX Ham Member QRZ Page

By the way remember there is always more information in our show notes at www.txfactor.co.uk

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018