ad: QuirkyQRP-1

ICQ Podcast Episode 265 - Online Purchasing Killing Hamfests?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Apr 29, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

In this episode, Martin M1MRB is joined by Matthew Nassau M0NJX, Bill Barnes N3JIX and Chris Howard M0TCH to discuss the latest Amateur / Ham Radio news. Colin M6BOY rounds up the news in brief, and this episode’s feature is - Is the online purchasing killing Hamfests?

News stories include:-
    • Canada Get New 100W 5MHz Allocation
    • Beijing Authorises 60m
    • 2018 State of Ham Radio Survey
    • Radio Ham Operator Achieves Contacts Across All 29 Bands
    • Sunday Times Publishes RSGB Response
    • Contest Events at Dayton Hamvention 2018
    • Kenwood Trophy Award 2018
    • First Class CW Operators Club 80th Anniversary
    The ICQPODCAST can be downloaded from http://www.icqpodcast.com

upload_2018-4-29_18-40-28.png

2. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Without doubt on-line selling is/has killed hamfests. Are you new here?

WW8RON and K4AGO like this.
  3. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Most likely, but internet or not, if you paid $1499 for your Super Rock Crusherxcvr 4 years ago and now expect $1200 for it she it is selling for $1100 new online it ain't gaunna happen. Blame the internet or blame the desire for updated gear or used equipment values, much equipment looses value while some great classics keep or eve increase value. I have a bunch of floppy and zip drives that cost and aren't even good paperweights now.

AC8MA likes this.
  4. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Too many people think what they are selling online is pure gold. People at hamfests are at least realistic. Sorry folks, as stated above... “ain’t gaunna happen.” The obitiuary for hamfests is premature.:)

KB0FKT, W3STN, K7MH and 3 others like this.
  5. W2KYM

W2KYM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it is very premature to make that conclusion. If I want a particular radio and I don't fine it at a hamfest, but online, I'll buy it online. The overhead a club has to contend with to host a hamfest or auction has become astronomical. It's a pretty unaffordable option.

KB0FKT, W5KV and KD2ANN like this.
  6. KT5OT

KT5OT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

hamfests have become nothing but a social gathering! the buyers are not there anymore.and certain new equipment vendors are marking up gear at hamfests higher than in their own stores.the slim percentage markups on new gear makes it impossible to drive 800 miles round trip to sell even 10000.00 worth of new gear and break even.the older generation of hams dont go to hamfests and buy anything.they just want to B.S. and get something for free!

K2NED likes this.
  7. K4ATR

K4ATR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been to approx 8 hamfest this year already and have my spaces and tickets for xenia and cant wait i always get my best deals at hamfest! online is way too high and you can never really see imperfections in pictures.

W1YW, K8MGA and (deleted member) like this.
  8. WA4KFZ

WA4KFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I go to the Dayton Hamvention each year because I enjoy the forums and talking to the equipment vendors. I tour the flea market just for nostalgia.

Hamfests need to "reinvent" themselves to stay relevant.

K0PIR and W1YW like this.
  9. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Been doing the hamvention since maybe 73, I know 74 for sure. Always bought stuff in flea market and always sold stuff when set up to do so. Maybe some hinky dink flea markets are dying in areas with few hams and I have seen some grow and some become insignificant or vanish, often as much due to loss of funding or venue as loss of interest. I suppose some people selling junk or way off the charts overpriced that scares people off, are complaining and moaning. At Dayton I see some people set up with absolute junk, to me, and don't know how they pay for their spots. I half want to say, well thanks, some of that stuff that looks like useless trash might be actually needed by someone, and also ask what the hell are you thinking?

10. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's funny coming from a guy who apparently parts-swaps / rips hams off by mail....
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/buyer-wants-full-partial-refund-and.596793/page-5

KG5UDY, W1YW, KI7VFW and 2 others like this.
  11. KG5SDD

KG5SDD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've bought some things online, but I have had the best success at hamfests.
    At Houston Hamfest, I picked up a 15 amp Astron switching for $30. Great guy!

W3STN likes this.
  12. N2NOW

N2NOW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Buyer beware"

13. N3HKN

N3HKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hamfests -- touch, open, turn on (if site has power), even smell for burnt components. You can look the seller in the eye and interrogate. eBay, semi-pro immoral scammers with their description and nothing else.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I buy my new stuff at Hamvention.

Period.

NU4R likes this.
  15. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Work is killing Hamfests for me .
    This year again I only get to watch online.:oops::(
    On the bright side...I have a job.

SA1CKE, N5KGN, NU4R and 1 other person like this.