ad: wmr-1

HR2.0 Episode 135: Comparing the Openspot and Nanospot Hotspots

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Apr 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AF5SB and KB5CUS like this.
  2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Text version for those of us who can not hear your audio.... I can read a synopsis 4 times faster than watching a video on my smart phone.

KV4BL, WA5KM, AC3DB and 3 others like this.
  3. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

The openspot never crashes its the Cadillac of access points
    not sure of the nanospot can do cross mode like the openspot as in dmr to fusion
    but sadly wont do dmr to dstar
    not saying the openspot is the best
    if the pi star gear could do that I'd switch n a heart beat

KC5HWB likes this.
  4. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

One day, I would like someone to provide the definition of:
    1. An Open Spot
    2. A Nano-Spot
    3. A SharkRF Spot
    4. A HotSpot
    I hear these terms batted around all the time with very little explanatory information about them technically and I would love for someone to explain to me or anyone why a ham would want one or even need one.

K2WH

N3UIQ, KV4BL, KA2FIR and 4 others like this.
  5. WY7RF

WY7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Watch the video.

K3TEF, KD5BVX and KC5HWB like this.
  6. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Items 1 and 3 above refer to the same product - the openSpot made by SharkRF:

https://www.sharkrf.com/products/openspot/

Item 2, the Nano-Spot, is made by another company called Micro-Node International:

http://www.micro-node.com/store/#!/...-Firmware-Compatibility/p/96901011/category=0

Item 4 is the general name for these types of devices or stations - a way to access a network, usually one of the digital-voice networks like D-Star or DMR, using a radio and Internet connection. These include the DV Access Point Dongle which has been around for a while:

http://dvapdongle.com/

and some homebrew setups that use a modem with a 9600bps-capable radio, including:

https://www.k6jm.com/hs-setup.htm

73!

KU4X likes this.
  7. KC5HWB

Well, its a video series, so....

AB0TJ, W2CPD and KD5BVX like this.
  8. KC5HWB

Agreed. But the Openspot won't cross-mode to DSTAR either. DMR and YSF are very similar modes, DSTAR is different. I'm not sure anyone has done a cross-talk DSTAR hotspot yet.

9. KC5HWB

K2WH:

I have several videos prior to this one that explains what a hotspot is, how to use them, set them up, etc. There are many versions and brands out there today.

WD9EWK:

Well said, thanks

WD9EWK likes this.
  10. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some just can't seem to grasp that SIMPLE concept! What is with people these days??

Unless someone has a hearing problem (i.e. is legit deaf) then...yeah...watch the show or let it play in the background while doing other things. Simple.

Been very disappointed with the way some people respond to posts about videos. These guys like Jason take their own time to create the content and then get bashed inexcusably for it. It's really easy to just not watch it if you don't like it, folks...

AB0TJ, W5PFG, W2CPD and 1 other person like this.
  11. WY7RF

That's what's happening. I end up not watching videos in general because the host (not this one so much in particular) prattles about non-related subjects. It seems to happen with LOTS of ham videos. If you're going to talk about "X", then talk about "X". Don't talk about something that might be related six degrees away from the subject. The host might think (not this one in particular) they are cute, funny, etc., but they are just wasting the viewers time.

N9AGC, K2WH, KT5OT and 2 others like this.
  12. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Read K2WH's post again. It doesn't bash the video at all. He only asked for some definitions related to these devices. Answering K2WH with "watch the video" is (in my opinion) disappointing.

If there is a video that answered him, then referring to that video would have been better. There are probably some videos floating around that would be a good way to answer basic questions about hotspots and these particular devices, including videos KC5HWB referenced.

KA2FIR, K3SX and KC5HWB like this.
  13. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I can read faster than most folks talk. My hearing is not the best, and my Computer I use for Amateur Radio has No Speakers.
    The audio from my computer is setup for doing SPK31. RTTY, JT65, etc....

The external speakers kept getting RFI and were making it a royal pain to switch back and forth to doing Ham stuff. ;)

In 2002 I called the TV cable company, and turned it off, have only internet since. I do not watch TV hardly ever.
    I was at a Hotel Friday and did not even turn the tv on. I prefer text please. Thanks!!

KA2FIR and KC5HWB like this.
  14. WY7RF

Had he watched the video he would have the answers to his questions. Obviously he did not. The author was VERY specific about his questions. Should a person who does not watch a video add comments/questions? I think not.

15. M0VTD

M0VTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video about the Nanospot Jason, ive been in touch with Micronode and have received email from Mark Guibord. I had asked him if they were attending Dayton this year as im coming over from the UK for this years hamvention, but he wasn't sure if they were going to be there, as I was looking to take one back to the UK with me.

73 de M0VTD

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    KC5HWB likes this.