ad: TinyPaddle-1

ARECIBO OBSERVATORY TO CHANGE HANDS, CONTINUE RESEARCH

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Feb 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

EA4BWD, W4NFR, WA7PRC and 7 others like this.
  2. KD2GIY

KD2GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

qrm !

3. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Quite the hike from Orlando to Central PR.

VE7DXW likes this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Florida is closer than any other point in CONUS. shrug.

5. KC2SST

KC2SST Ham Member QRZ Page

UCF football team reportedly confused about their January 2019 plans due to a mixup over "dish" and "bowl."

KO5V, AC0OB, WD4ET and 15 others like this.
  6. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure beats the alternative.

upload_2018-2-25_21-31-38.png

MW1CFN likes this.
  7. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

I seem to remember when some of the Scientist were also Amateur Radio Operators set up a single 10 element 2 m beam pointed down to the center of this dish antenna, using a 100 W solid state RF amplifier and a transceiver rounding out the ham station and operated 2 meter Moon Bounce. It would be nice to know the Gain of the Dish Antenna. I guess these hams worked a whole lot of guys using that set up. Years ago I worked a woman ham up in North Dakota on 6 m who spent 11 months a year working at Arecibo Observatory. The one month was used for retaining her U.S. Citizenship in North Dakota. I'm glad to see that the people are continuing their work at Arecibo Observatory with the help of the University of Central Florida.

Dan
    WA9WVX

WD4ET, N1GKE, VE3EEI and 4 others like this.
  8. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Small moves Ellie... small moves...

WD4ET, K7BEN, N9FM and 6 others like this.
  9. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, she would have kept her U.S. citizenship anyway, but I know what you mean. Anyway, Google "Moonbounce from Arecibo Observatory - Princeton Physics" for the story. Speaking of North Dakota, I heard of a farmer there who set his center pivot irrigation system up as a horizontal 160 meter antenna. It is amazing what hams can do.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    WU8Y likes this.
  10. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Rich,

I personally know several people that have done 2 meter Moonbounce / EME and the first guy was K0MQS Bob out in Iowa who used a 2 meter Rhombic Antenna on his farm. He worked all 50 states (WAS). Then K9HMB Frank used 16 Cushcraft 32-19 Yagis fed with 7/8" Andrews Heliax & RF Power Dividers. That antenna was capable of 360 degrees Azimuth and Elevation controls, then WB9CAS / W9EBO Louie / Bonnie used the same antenna system as Frank K9HMB, they were good friends. Both Frank & Louie got their WAS on 2 meters and all three hams used low speed CW to accomplish this Moon Bounce operations. This was done 30 years before JT65 came along so the contacts were labor intense and they were something to be proud of. Yes, I understand what Moonbounce is about and how to accomplish this challenge. I would say that 99% of the Amateur Radio Operators use JT65 for their Moonbounce operations.

Dan
    WA9WVX

11. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone doing voice contacts via moonbounce? JT/FT modes get boring after an hour or two.

12. K4GPS

K4GPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ummm.... Puerto Rico is part of the United States they ARE citizens

N2EY, N3HOE and W1YW like this.
  13. AE7BT

AE7BT Ham Member QRZ Page

Gubbermint is so bad, so incompetent, in some people’s minds that they think a third rate university can do it better.
    America doesn’t really do as much basic science anymore unless it’s military related and/or obviously profitable.
    One of the new managing partners, Yang Enterprises (which has a troublesome history but is politically well connected), will likely just give our technology to the Chinese, like it did when one of its employees (convicted spy Henry Nee) gave military and NASA tech to China. Giving up Arecibo makes one more small step down along the way of our long decline.
    We had a good run, it’s China’s time now.

KA2FIR and W0AEW like this.
  14. N3AFS

N3AFS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Small steps Ellie...........small steps..."

Now a mondain question: When it rains, as it does quite often (not considering hurricanes), is there a drain plug at the bottom of the bowl?

N2EY, G3SEA, N8GB and 1 other person like this.
  15. N3AFS

N3AFS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For me, JT/FT modes get boring after about 30 minutes or so. When will we get "burst" technology available?

G3SEA likes this.