ad: MyersEng-1

Yaesu FT-818 -- The FT-817ND Replacement Available Soon

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Feb 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4LKO

W4LKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Today Yaesu announced a new FT-817ND replacement is on the way -- the FT-818!

The new Yaesu FT-818 incorporates all of the basic and attractive features of the ever-popular FT-817ND while providing upgrades desired by many existing owners.

A few notable improvements include:
    • Increased power output to 6W
    • Improved frequency stability
    • Larger battery capacity
    More information and full specs available at: https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ft-818-transceiver.html

ft-817_1[1].jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    AG4KN and W2CSI like this.
  2. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the FT-817 and it's a tough radio. I'll have to take a closer look, but I like it!

W8DEP likes this.
  3. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

If those 3 items are it, does not seem much of an upgrade you can buy the TXCO9 for the 817, there must be more in it for Yaesu to introduce a new model

W8DEP, EB1BSV, W9BLW and 7 others like this.
  4. ZL1RD

ZL1RD Ham Member QRZ Page

Increased power output to 6 watts??? Are you joking... a big one watt increase... surely there is more to the upgrade than one watt increase in output. Looks to me like an excuse for Yaesu to raise the price of the 817 at little increase in manufacturing cost.

Rob

G3SEA, W8LGZ, W2KS and 18 others like this.
  5. K8KET

K8KET Ham Member QRZ Page

Disappointed.
    • STILL no NOAA weather RX (Missed opportunity the first time. Unforgivable omission the second time around.)
    • No Li-ion battery?
    • No new display backlight colors (green, amber or white would be so much easier on the eyes than orange, blue and "blorange")
    • No built in DSP?
    There are some really cool QRP radios on the market right now. Yaesu is going to have to step up their game a notch or two to stay in the game. There's certainly no reason to upgrade from an 817ND, especially if you have aftermarket DSP and Collins filters installed.

I still love my 817 but I really hoped for much more from its successor.

W2CPD, OZ1T, KB2QQM and 23 others like this.
  6. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

One watt increase? Really? Nobody will ever hear that. Increased battery capacity? No big deal either because most serious users bought & installed Wincamp 3000mah LiPo batteries or use external power. Better frequency stability? Huh? Fine for satellite users but no big deal for the majority, especially the backpackers and SOTA activators whom this radio is SUPPOSED to be targeted to!

Yaesu you are REALLY missing the boat here. I don't know where your suggestion box is but you obviously didn't see the majority who wanted things such as a built-in tuner, 10w output, basic DSP, more rugged power connector, etc.

I doubt that I will be buying one of these. My FT-817nd is same thing :).

W2CPD, OZ1T, KB2QQM and 15 others like this.
  7. K8KET

K8KET Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you nailed it. If anything, they should have reduced the price to lower than the 817 to try to grab some market share.

AG4KN, K0WJ, K7LZR and 5 others like this.
  8. K8TDN

K8TDN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I have 2 x FT-817...I won't be buying the FT-818 if that is all they are going to change or upgrade....two many other choices for QRP on the market. Definitely not worth the money.

AG4KN, K0WJ, AK5B and 3 others like this.
  9. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At 849 they are higher than the KX2 and LNR LD-11's. I think they just laid a big egg. No reason at all to buy this rig.

W2CPD, G3SEA, W8LGZ and 11 others like this.
  10. F8UKP

F8UKP Ham Member QRZ Page

The ft-817 is a very popular radio as an IF for transverter. 5 or 6w doesn't matter to people using them to drive SHF transverters. 200mW is more than enough.

the stability of the TCXO is great but as mentionned it's anything new since it has been availalbe for years on ebay for the ft-817.

This "upgrade" looks more like an updated PCB to address the sourcing issues of some parts including the finals that have gone EOL.

I would have loved to find a built in micro-usb for CAT as well as an SMA with access to the IF.

73 9v1RM

AC7N, K0WJ, NA7RX and 6 others like this.
  11. SA4MDN

SA4MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

pic is of an 817, there are more floating around on the net and the yahoo group for the 817, if you zoom in on most of them you can still see its marked 817.

12. VK2JI

VK2JI Ham Member QRZ Page

IMHO the FT-818 is not a new model rather a model with some slightly upgraded parts as the existing ones are getting harder to source for Yaesu.

The FT817ND is a very successful and well designed rig - think of the the FT-818 as an FT-817ND Mk. II.

Once we see the actual specs there may be some minor improvements brought about by the newer parts but in general this seems like the good old reliable FT817 with its life extended a few more years.

For those who don't have a portable 160m to 70cm rig, this will undoubtedly be one to look at. For those who already own an FT817ND, I'd say it's unlikely they will buy the FT-818.

73 Ed DD5LP.
    upload_2018-2-24_8-8-26.png
    Graphic from Martin Lynch & Sons in the UK - this one appears to say FT-818. (but it could have been "photo-shopped" of course).
    https://www.hamradio.co.uk/amateur-...uhf-all-mode-portable-transceiver-pd-8595.php

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    EB1BSV and VE7SHG like this.
  13. KD6RMS

KD6RMS Ham Member QRZ Page

As a hiker/hilltopper strictly phone HF V/UHF contester, I would've instantly bought an FT-817ND replacement if it had ANY of these: add'l band 223 &/or 1296, 10w, DSP, bigger screen. The 818 has NONE of them and I already use a Bioenno external battery. Yaesu REALLY missed the mark for me.

14. ZL1PDT

ZL1PDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Look and sound old radio BUT new number and wright up would like to see type of SDR line

15. NF6E

NF6E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Um...why does GigaParts and HRO have (matching) articles touting this "new" radio, but the radio manufacturer (Yaesu) does not?

And why is it that Universal-Radio, which has historically been excellent at getting ahead of product cancellations and announcements of new models, is currently void of any mention of the 817 being discontinued and/or this new wonder-rig being available in March? (which is...like...one week from now).

Early April fools perhaps?

I could be all wrong about this but, I will wait for the official Yaesu announcement.

PH5E and PA1TNO like this.