ad: rfparts

60 meters

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by N5PVL, Mar 13, 2012.

?

How do you feel about 60 meters?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
  1. We could do without it.

12.2%
  2. Greatest thing since sliced bread.

34.1%
  3. I dunno a thing about it.

12.2%
  4. I know - but don't care.

43.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: L-Geochron
  1. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you feel about 60 meters?

2. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Subscriber QRZ Page

None of the voting choices fit..how about, "so screwed up with ARRL hearsay and poorly written FCC technical definitions of allowable modes that I do not want to operate there."?

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I love it and operate there regularly.
    One of the better phone bands.

4. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Non of the above , again .
    I have a couple of HF rigs , have tuned there to look for trafic , but never heard anything .
    I should get around to programing those frequencies in so that it is easier to check , I quit looking because with out hearing anything so far and a little bit of a pain in the --- , I do not bother .
    Also my station is not set up for working well below 40m , Butternut HF-9 , manual tuner .
    Going to do some maintenance / adjustments , now that its warmed up , thats a bad excuse , never really got cold this yrs , spoiled from global warming .

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't like the idea of HF Ham Bands on CHANNELS! We should have a frequency RANGE, not channels. Don't know why in the world they came up with this channel nonsense!

6. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

7. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't check any of the poll choices. I haven't tried 60-meters yet, but I think it could be a great asset for wide-area net operations during hurricane or other widespread weather situations. The few channelized frequencies might serve keep the masses away and lessen interference down.

But as to regular hamming, rag chewing, etc., no thanks. The NTIA mandated rules don't seem to make it a great place for that. I'll keep my distance for now.

8. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

I say none of the above also. I don't operate there. But, I don't think we should ever give up band space.

9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep.

If / when Yaesu gets around to creating updates for the FT-817ND and the FT-450D I'll probably look into doing digital on 60m. Otherwise I may just stop in from time to time and see if I can work a station or two on phone.

10. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard those 60 mtr channels are allocated to HAM as interoperability between amateur and Federal agencies or military, may be 60 mtr should be only used as emergency practice or during emergency.

11. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

"heard"??? ya got a link to a real reference that actually requires that?

12. W0BTU

Is this what you mean? "(60 m band), the assigned frequencies 5332, 5348, 5358.5, 5373, and 5405 kHz are allocated to the amateur service on a secondary basis."

That's from https://www.federalregister.gov/art.../amateur-radio-use-of-the-allocation-at-5-mhz.

But nothing says 60M is only for emergencies or drills. We are free to use it (within the rules) for ragchewing, DX, etc. unless a government station interrupts.

13. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have made a few contacts on 60M USB since it was open because I was curious to see how the propigation was like. Now that it is open to CW operation I have made many more contacts since I am not much of a fone operator.
    It may be a "compromise", channelized band but at least we have a foot in the door to get more band space.
    I have already heard hams who seem to be bending the rules by operating off the puiblished frequency constraints and hope this can be corrected before we loose our foothold on a new band.

14. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless they make 60 meters a real ham band: VFO and a slice of the band no channels it is worthless.

15. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is now better than ever that we can work Didital modes there I love it, hello more DX!

16. W0BTU

In that case, maybe we'd better get on 60 meters quick, and tell that to everyone who thinks they're having fun there. ;)

17. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

No contesting on 60m = no interest.

18. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you saying this because you know that most hams with "modern" radios don't know how to use them enough to determine exactly where they are transmitting (offset from display problems) and can not comply with the frequency rules ???

19. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

actually,.................. most of the operators I hear that are NOT in compliance are on older equipment

20. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Or,... Turn it down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.