ad: Schulman-1

6 Meters Has Been Open for at Least the Last 4 Days.............

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K2WH, Jun 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's exactly what I've done. It was not only a nice construction project, it's served me well!

Got SC on multihop earlier. CW is a great mode for this.

K4BAD, KG5THG and K1FBI like this.
  2. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My M2 loop seems to run out of steam for multihop, or at least I can't hear anywhere farther than Az. so far with it. Have been going as far west as Texas on SSB and then nothing further. Sorry no FT here. Heard a guy go to 6M AM the other day. Followed his QSY from SSB portion and found him. So I got brave and keyed the mic on this IC 7300, Hey! It really does do AM! Worked him nicely. First 6M AM contact since about 1975 for me. Had not tried AM with a solid state rig. Thought I might have to fiddle with settings for that mode change but it was just switch and go. NO wonder those old Gonsets sell for big money, but the 2 meter versions languish.

K4BAD likes this.
  3. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

JAdecodes.jpg
    Holy crap!! JA decodes on my 3el beam up 25 ft in NJ!! WOOOOWW....

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? Where does any JA acknowledge you?

All I see i you continually calling a station that is ALREADY in QSO.
    you continued to call even tho you own screen info clearly showed that JA7QVI was working other stations.

Also, why are you using 50.313.450?............. that puts you on 2350,............................ right on top to the JA on 2357

5. KB2FCV

I didn't work them, nor did I claim to. I'm using a 3el beam on the roof aimed at a hill directly behind the house. It's a very far from ideal setup for 6. In my years of living here I've never seen anything from Asia/Japan.. so I was excited just to decode them.

I was not calling on top of them, I always pick a clear spot to call. Besides, the JA is being received at 2357 hz relative to where my VFO is.. and I was calling in a clear spot down from him... not on top of him. The pitch of what my computer is generating is going to be lower than what it is receiving, so it won't be right on top of him. Not sure why my VFO was at 50.313.450.. maybe nudged the VFO knob.

It seems to be the norm I see when someone is on that a lot of people want to work on 6m. Everyone will pick a clear spot and continually call the station. The station will pick one off at at time while the others continually call and will keep the exchanges as sort as possible. That seems to be the trend/etiquette I see.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  6. KB2FCV

Ok I saw another post here... I was completely in the wrong:
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/the-correct-way-to-use-ft8.618077/

I should have stopped calling when I saw the other station was in QSO. I admit I am wrong, lesson learned and it won't happen again. I guess I see a ton of people continually calling on a daily basis, that doesn't make it right. From now on I'll always wait for the 73 before calling again..

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    W8YPV, WA8UEG and KP4SX like this.
  7. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Frustrates us up here in AK also.
    This past weekend (in southcentral AK) during the contest I heard the beacons from Yellowknife (1500 miles), Whitehorse, and Prince George, Canada. A lot! At times pinning the meter for a hour or more. Stations heard---NONE! Stations worked---NONE! Zip! Zilch! Zero!
    And you think you are frustrated!

8. N2SLO

N2SLO Ham Member QRZ Page

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    People make mistakes- and all he posted was that he decoded a JA. Instead of pointing out a fault- provide guidance on how to be a better operator.

Nobody is perfect- I have called on top of people in error- that's what happens sometimes when we are working FT8 vs. having a SSB QSO.

James- congrads on decoding those JA's. I remember that early evening- it popped and many JA's flooded into the east coast.
    David

KG5THG likes this.
  9. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent opening this morning in the southwest! Short skip was open from southern AZ to southern CA, and in the other direction to southern NM. Additionally there were openings to northern CA, central TX, and double hop to GA.

K4BAD likes this.
  10. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing I've learned in my short time on 6 meters is that the long haul dx stations are just as interested in you as you are them. All the long haul this year came to me while I was doing something else. Even had a ja out of the blue. Didn't finish with him though but was exciting. Amazing where barefoot and a wire dipole will reach.

K4BAD likes this.