6 meter activity

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KA0EIV, Aug 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA0EIV

KA0EIV Ham Member QRZ Page

Everytime I look at the Qso/realtime map to see if the band is active I notice almost all the qso are FT8. Doesn't anyone talk anymore ssb?

2. KC1IGS

KC1IGS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, SSB in that portion of the band and FM on 52.525. 6 just hasn't been open enough where I am since June to do SSB on my G5RV.

3. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've tweaked my DX Maps settings to filter out the digital modes. If I ever take up digital (I may do so someday) then I'll turn it back on, but as for six I have a love of CW and SSB operation.

I'd like to give AM and FM a try but I'm not sure anyone else out there feels the same way.

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

When 10M is open and I hear SSB traffic and CW beacons, I can call and call on 29.600 FM and get no reply. Heard a repeater key up (Dallas, TX) and nobody talked..
    just whatever is popular today :(

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Speaking from my situation...I've been working lots of DX on 6 FT8 (yesterday was great) but rarely are the signals strong enough to support SSB or even CW. When I start seeing + reports from Europe or the states I tune around but never hear anything. This is my first season on 6. I have only heard ONE station on SSB, a Brasilian, and he had been clocking +10 or +12 on FT8 when he announced he was going to SSB.

6. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems to me that you need a band opening AND a contest at the same time to be able to spot openings by using a map website.

I made 23 6m contacts during a ARRL contest a couple of weeks ago during the times the band was open in my location.

This weekend I setup my 10m antenna for the 10-10 Summer Phone QSO party and have made 10 contacts so far, with about 24 hours left. The band was open for a number of hours earlier today here and it's been quiet for the balance of the day.

It's my observation that the amount of online spotting during the weekdays is pretty low, even though you may find a rag chew here and there.

7. K4RGN

K4RGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From my point of view, the skip season this summer was not great for the 6m SSB op or the 6m CW op. On good days QSOs could be made, but I'd guess that 60-75% of the people who once DX'ed on SSB or CW have gone to FT8. Is this irreversible or just a temporary situation until propagation improves? Some of the FT8 people might come back but I doubt most of them will.

8. N2SLO

N2SLO Ham Member QRZ Page

This is true and sad. This year has been the best 6M season in years. Unfortunately, other then the June VHF contest all the activity is FT-8. Many reasons for this- Es to the EU has been in most of the summer, and not workable on SSB. I recently worked UK, Germany, France etc. and all reports were in the range of -3 to-15DB. Not possible on phone, so FT-8 is place to be. I can only take about an hour of FT-8, something to be said about computer to computer vs. a good rag chew on SSB. I called CQ when the band was hot on 50.140, and nothing. Then tried again, and worked like 5 stations in 30 min rag chewing. Very little activity. So Ft-8 is here to stay, due ease of contacts and weak signal work.

9. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have said it before so I'll say it again, when you see lots of E openings on FT8 get on and call CQ on SSB or CW, almost always you will make contacts. Don't just do 1 CQ and done but try several times. If you get a contact on .125 move the qso to .130 and the band will suddenly open up and you will make contacts as long as the band is open.

FT8 is exceptional at weak signal contacts so there are times when contacts will be spotted and contacts made when you could never copy with SSB.

FT8 has really become popular on 6 but there is plenty of SSB & CW as well when the band opens more than very marginal when only FT8 will get through.

10. K4RGN

K4RGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, as I said when the band was open you could make contacts on .125 and a few.005 increments above that. What I didn't hear this year was traffic on every .005 all the way up to .185 or so, interspaced with ops squeezing into .003s and .008s. I had heard that in previous years. After a while it got to be largely the same SSB ops every opening, at least in the single-hop ring from here.