5BDXCC Plaque: less than advertised

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W5MT, Apr 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
  1. K4HX

K4HX Ham Member QRZ Page

You won't regret putting up the Beverage.

2. K4LRX

K4LRX Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine is in the 3400 numbers and it looks about the same as the other plaques shown, to me the biggest disappointment in awards was the WPX it took a year to actually receive it. I was told an artist had to paint it, well he better go back to art school. As a result I have no further interest in that award, too much work for too little effort on the paper award.

3. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same experience with my WAZ award applied for back in the 90s. Took forever to come because of the "artwork", then arrived with my surname misspelled! I never attempted to get it corrected.

4. K4LRX

K4LRX Subscriber QRZ Page

Sort of took the air out of my sails, took me the better part of a month to list all my prefixes, real let down with the paper. Best award I think is the USA CA really nice, never worked them all, stopped at 2800. Maybe one day will finish the project.

5. W5MT

W5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, Lee K2HAT, by all I can find, it's looking like they changed sometime around May 2017, last year.

K2HAT likes this.
  6. W5MT

W5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks K2CD, I'm sure it could be effected easily enough. However, the biggest issue with me is that the painted portions of the plaque (in the continents) is just so dang dark. Look at Lee's above, nice bright, brilliant colors. Scroll up some more and look at mine... colors are so dark that the black borders are washed out and very hard to distinguish a difference in colors between Australia, SA and Greenland. Only when I set mine in bright direct sunlight can you tell they are in fact different colors. Typical room lighting makes the plaque look like just a bunch of very dark images on the tile. Very disappointing compared to the former style.

7. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm 100% in agreement with you. It just plain looks bad. I never applied for mine, and now unless it changes back, I probably never will. Printing technology should be getting better over time, not worse.

8. W5MT

W5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure it's not about technology, but rather $$$. hihi

I advised ARRL on Friday that this was not right -- showing one plaque (the former design) but delivering something else and, IMO, an inferior product. I also suggested it was a fraudulent business practice to misrepresent a product. I suggested they change the picture on the 5BDXCC Plaque webpage by EOM or they might find themselves subject to an FTC or CT CPA complaint. It'll be interesting to see if they can come up with a photo of the new design that's as attractive as the former (which may be why they haven't changed it hihi).

There's not even a "product subject to change without notice" disclaimer on the webpage, but even if there were, I'd imagine they'd want to update the photo less than a YEAR after they changed the product hihi.

My opinion on ARRL runs hot and cold... this is definitely one of the "cooler" periods hihi.

9. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, that really is dark. The colors are there but they are way darker. I wonder why they changed it after all these years? I wonder why they think it's an improvement?

There are some of their awards I don't care for the "look". I have WAS triple play confirmed in LoTW but I don't hold a single WAS award on paper.. I don't like the certificates at all and would never want to hang it up on my wall. The DXCC certificate is pretty nice as is the WAZ certificate. Sorry to hear they changed the design.

A big congrats for earning 5B! 80 and 10 were the last two I chipped away at. Like you did.. I focused on the dx contests to fill the bands out. I ONLY worked LoTW users and if I had time I'd see if they were people who uploaded often. Confirmations came pretty swift. I'm now closing in on 170 confirmed with a 102' dipole on 80m. I like the challenge of working as many new ones as I can on 80 to see how far I can push my dipole. I'm now even dabbling in 160m with that dipole.. up to 59 or 60 worked / 55 confirmed so far. I hope to add 160m DXCC next... but that might take some time. Modes like FT8 also help add new ones on the low bands (and 6 too!)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    K2HAT likes this.