ad: ProAudio-1

Inexpensive 2 Meter Go Box

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Jan 31, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

After spending what seems like months of watching nearly every YouTube video on Ham Radio Go Boxes I finally decided to make one for myself. Thing is I didn't want to spend a ton of money doing it.

There are plenty of boxes to choose from to put your equipment in. There's Plano, Gator, Pelican and Nanuk just to name a few. However, I wasn't wanting to pay $100.00 or more for a case and I wanted it to easily fit in my car as well as be able to deploy the radio quickly. Luckily I found the Apache 3800 at Harbor Freight Tools for only $29.99 with a coupon ($39.99 without). This case seems sturdy enough. Harbor Freight says it is IP65 Rated meaning it is waterproof and dust proof. It also has the pick-apart foam which makes custom fitting your Go Box much easier. The Apache 3800 measures 16 15/16" Long x 12 7/8" wide x 6 11/16" x high. It has plenty of room for my Yaesu FT-2980. N9TAX Slim Jim Antenna, 12 volt 14ah battery, a couple of 10 gauge pig tails, notepad and rope.

Snip20180131_1.png

KI4P, AF5SB, G4LJW and 7 others like this.
  2. K7ZOV

K7ZOV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the one I got for the KX2 and all the bolt on's. Very well built and at a price that makes sense.

K5STI and WJ6F like this.
  3. KD2GIY

KD2GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job on that.

WJ6F likes this.
  4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I spent too much.

Good work. :)

WJ6F likes this.
  5. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Is described by HF as being waterproof and does it have an O-ring seal around the lid?

WJ6F likes this.
  6. K2MFW

K2MFW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course it has an o-ring. And a vent.

WJ6F likes this.
  7. KN4GZO

KN4GZO Ham Member QRZ Page

nothing better than something affordable and yet works great!

WJ6F likes this.
  8. K4SFC

K4SFC Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a nice looking kit!

WJ6F likes this.
  9. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks much for the comments!

K4SFC likes this.
  10. N6JSX

N6JSX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bro., I'd like to suggest something better that solves another aspect for a good go-box that can survive a EMP/ESD hit. My go-box with my IC-7000, PS & gelcell in a surplus steel Mortar Ammo Box. But due to the rubber gasket making a good insulator I took a 22 wire bore brush and reamed out the hinge pin/socket and applied some conductive grease. The Mortar Ammo can has a nice grab handle. The hardest item to find is the foam and then how to hot-wire to cut the foam. My KX3, gelcell, and items inside a steel 50cal Ammo Box for my QRP grab-n-go.

KC9ARP and WJ6F like this.
  11. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Outstanding idea! Do you have any pictures of that?

12. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Now with all the money you saved, you need to get a good solar panel.

I'll save you some time looking around and go straight to the best deal you are going to find for a folding solar panel on the internet.

Link: Military Solar Panel

[​IMG]

WJ6F likes this.
  13. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

x
    Nice botenx. I have my KX3 in a 12 x 7.4 x 4.4 Pelican nock-off for 29.95 from Marlin P. Jones Assoc. and a smaller one from there for my Ten Tec 4020 that ate fully waterproof.

http://www.mpja.com/Misc-Electronic-Enclosures-Boxes-Cases/products/103/

My problem is that I want a 'ready to operate' setup, open lid and operate for My Kenwood dual-bander, p.s., battery, TNC and maybe a Pi3. Not many ready to go boxes. Store and travel, sure....ready to operate not so much. The biggest problem for me is the internal support and shock protection and fan ventilation takes from battery capacity.

WJ6F likes this.
  14. WR1O

WR1O Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the coupon code?

15. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine is a ready to operate set-up. Not the best picture (taken from my QRZ profile), but contains a dual-band radio with TNC and external GPS module. Built-in power supply inside or I can (manually) switch to battery power if needed. RF, AC, and DC power connectors mounted on the back so no cables need to be dangled out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    KE4YMX, KC8VWM, WJ6F and 1 other person like this.